Senior Audiophiles - Audiophile since the 60-70's?

How many Senior (true) Audiophiles do we have here since the 70's or prior?

What was your favorite decade and why?

What are your thoughts of the current state of Audio?

Would you trade your current system for a past system?
brianmgrarcom
My first system was around 1975 (I don't remember exactly) Harmon Kardon reciever, and pair of KLH speakers and a Sony (I think?) turntable. I still have the reciever the rest is long gone.

I can remember sitting in the Bedrooms or Basements of friends listening to music and think one day I would have a system like that! My system now isn't anything special, but I've had much better stuff. If I could get the tax man off my back maybe I could get something better again.

I think everyone's favorite era of music is when they were in high school and College. I even find myself listening to music from my high school days that I did not like then, but has nostalgic value today. Some of it I would not want to put into print! Yes, I'm ashamed!
I can remember in the mid 60s walking through Alco-Paramount in San Jose California and seeing high end Scott receivers and seperates built into consoles, and Marantz 10Bs and 7s on the shelves. The EV Patrician speakers were there as was a JBL Paragon. Those were the days!
Hello to all. I built my first amp in 1959 (Eico kit). Except for the minor diversion caused by the "newer is better transistor" it has been tubes all the way. This is an exciting time. Better parts. Renewed tube manufacture.
Desire to explore forgotten avenues of audio electronics. More worldwide tube interest. Yes, there is hucksterism. There will always be hucksterism. But, there are interesting things being discovered and rediscoverd. My voyage into triodes ( 2A3 45 50 300B 845 ) has yielded the greatest musical surprises and experiences of my audio journey. Don't just settle for what commercial products there are, although there are some very good ones. Take your adventure into learning and understanding. You will find a much deeper satisfaction when the music you reproduce transcends the hardware, touches the emotions, and can take your breath away.
I started in 1957 with a Webcor changer/GE magnetic cartridge, Harman-Kardon Prelude(?) and a no-name speaker. Soon added an RCA 12" coax in a RiverEdge bass reflex and later an Eico HFT-90. Went on to Dynaco and Empire TT with Altec A-7s and never looked back. Too much over the years to itemize.
Allegedly, my musical trips started as a baby, when my mother would play an LP (on repeat) on an old changer -- to keep me quiet.
I was first smitten by "audiophile" sound in the '60s. I still remember that experience: friends of my parents had HUGE Tannoys (at least they looked huge to me), a Garrard and tubes. I was mesmerized. All I had then was a portable Philips gramophone -- that I tried to improve playing around with the arm weight, etc (that's before I knew the official term: tweak)
My first "stereo" was a Philips with two detachable speakers, in the late '60s. It took me 5-6yrs of savings after that to purchase my first detached system: Thorens 125TT, Luxman integrated, Kef 2-way speakers. I was ecstatic, and immediately set out to "improve" the sound (changing wires, making wooden "stands". I wasn't really sure of what I was expecting to happen; this was well before I caught on to cables, stands, etc. I was hoping for magic, I suppose.
I've come a long way since then, only to end up recently with termination-less wire as I/C (so much for my Valhalla's...).

B) For me, the '70s were very exciting musically. Possibly because I was in discovering mode?

C) Current state of audio: good to v. good. The market is opening up, many offerings and some good value/price ratios (think of TT engineering nowadays and 20 yrs ago vs the asking prices).

D) Yes, I would trade my present system for a past system -- my immediately previous one. However, I can't afford to -- which is why I no longer have my previous system in the first place!