Walking Into A Brick & Mortar High End Audio Store

I am currently pretty satisfied with my system the way it is right now. I am not in the market for any new purchases right now, mainly because I don't have the discretionary income to make big changes. However, sometimes I get the urge to want to go into a hifi store just to look. Eventually I will upgrade my speakers, cd player, preamp, a new dac for sure and may give class D amps a shot...but not right now.

Is it cool to go into a store just to look around, knowing you don't have the money or immediate need for an item?
128x128mitch4t
I've walked out of hifi stores when sales people don't bother to come up and ask me if I need help. Perhaps they think I am not a useful commission. Their loss.
I've walked out of hifi stores when sales people don't bother to come up and ask me if I need help. Perhaps they think I am not a useful commission. Their loss.
Serious Brick & Mortar stores will know how to qualify you and your intention not to buy. If they do not, they would have been put out of business long ago. So, if you are near New York City, put yourself to the test by going into Lyric, on Lexington Avenue. Oh, be sure to bring your brokers monthly statement with you, otherwise they will know you are not a serious buyer. Lyric knows how to 'qualify'. As a 'relationship' store they want to visit your home to check out how 'serious' you are. Let us know.
I understand that times are tough in the B&M shops. It's a very tough business to be in, now, more than ever. That said, there are clear success stories out there. Obviously, there's many variables involved with success but this thread got me to thinking of an old mentor from my younger days. He was one of the most successful salesman in a team of successful salesmen. Not naturally good looking but he made himself very attractive. Sharp, aggressive, funny, smart, high energy. He was like a loveable shark! I'll never forget him telling me once how it didn't matter what the product was, he considered himself a SALESMAN 1st and foremost. My favorite quote of his was "I should be able to pick a turd up off the street and make you feel like you MUST own it!!". I loved this guy (RIP). Because of him (and others like him that I used to deal with) I've always seen the stereotypical audio sales guys as being kind of whiney.
I've been in Lyric twice, both times when the shop was near empty on CHristmas Eve, and the person there, who appeared to be a manager or owner, was very accommodating and courteous. HE greeted me immediately, asked if he could help me, and I told him I was visiting from out of town and mostly just looking but had general interest in good audio gear. He proceeded to demonstrate his top of teh line big rigs in the back rooms. Very nice! I appreciated it and always try to go back when in NYC.

I've also been to Sound By SInger in NYC twice while visiting under similar circumstances and had more mixed results there. I think they closed up shop shortly after that for whatever reason.