Teres still the way to go?

Thinking about going with a Teres 255 again (I've owned one before and loved it). Just wanted to see if there is anything else I should consider in the same price range. Thoughts?
128x128nrenter
I'm going to give a response that may be a first in Audiogon history:

I'm going to admit that I don't think I'll be able to provide any useful comparative comments.

When I receive my table (which should be this Friday), I'll be using a different platter, different arm, and a different cartridge with the Verus motor. As a matter of fact, everything about my system will be different (including the room). Other than fit & finish, ease of use, and "quirkiness" comments, I don't think any sonic comparisons would be anywhere close to accurate / relevant. If someone in the Dallas area has a Signature motor and would like to bring it by to compare, I would be happy to arrange a shoot out.

Plus, it's been nearly a year since I last spun something on my monkeywood 255. I trust Swampwalker is still taking good care of my baby. :)
Hi Nick- Your baby is just fine. Almost all grown up with a Schroeder M2 arm now. I'm curious why you went with the solid acrylic platter? Does Chris consider it a better match with the Versus motor?
Well...

Teres is changing their product line. The bad news is they aren't making 255s or 265s any more - those models are being replaced by the Teres 260. I found this out when I called with the reluctant intent to go *way* outside my budget and order a 265.

The Teres 260 uses the same base as the 255 and 265, however it uses a new black composite platter that they prefer to the 255 acrylic platter (and comes really close to the 265 hardwood platter). Like the 255 and 265 platters, the new 260 platter is lead loaded. The Teres 260 is also furnished with the Verus Motor.

Since they are going through these model changes, Chris had an old solid acrylic platter still in stock and put together a package for me that I couldn't refuse (and kept me much closer to my budget).

Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe Chris feels that lead damping in a platter is not as valuable when using the Verus Drive compared to the value received from the lead-damping with a belt drive motor. In theory, the flywheel effect is not as critical with a motor like the Verus.

Plus, the new black composite platter gives me an easy upgrade path when I get the itch (and I'll probably keep the solid acrylic platter for comparison). Bottom line, I traded down on the platter for a potentially synergistic upgrade with the new motor. I believe this combo will outperform a 255, but even if it just comes close I'll be more than satisfied.
Nrenter:

I would be curious to hear your impressions. For me the Verus was a non-starter from the get go. I own one of the first batch of Teres 265 tables. I tried the Verus motor but had to return it to Chris as it was not compatible. The original 265 platters did not have seamless edges - there are ridges from the joints. Every time the rim drive would rotate and hit a joint it would be extremely audible (it sounded like rumble). The best analogy I could give is that it was like driving your car and continually hitting speed bumps. Chris mentioned that he eventually veneered the edges of the 265 platters so that there is no seam. If I want to experiment with the Verus again it would take either Chris reworking my 265 platter or swapping for the 260 composite.

I actually sent Chris an email yesterday asking him which he thought would be preferable - the 265 platter with the standard motor or a 260 platter with the Verus drive. I'll post his response when I hear back from him.

Ken Golden