Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Good Luck Jean!! I wish you the Best...you deserve it!!!

Thanks for your time

Lawrence
Good Luck Jean!! I wish you the Best...you deserve it!!!

Thanks for your time

Lawrence
WoW!!!! What an amazing thread this has been! Jean, My apologies for not getting back to you regarding the Slate! I've had busy, crazy times, I am a father now... (3yrs. old! time flies) and a foster parent to two teenage boys, a career change, a major move.... but one thing has remained constant: My rather utilitarian looking, but incredible sounding Hybrid CLD/Slate Lenco!
I've not changed a single THING in over 2 years! And that's saying a lot... Phonostage, cartridges,amp, speakers, CD player have all changed, (some several times) But that Lenco has remained unchanged!!!
I want to thank all of you guys for your enthusiasm, and sharing of ideas, and encouragement! To find a component that truly completely satisfies in our often maddening hobby is a blessing... being able to DIY such a component is even more so!

Now.... I keep hearing about these bearings, and spindles and such, and I'm getting mighty curious!
Maybe it's time to haul out that old 88 I have gathering dust in the basement?
Muahahahahahaaa!
Daiwok, Jean, RF, and all of you other fellows, it's nice to know you are still out there, keeping it going and getting others interested!
I've been following Arthur's website for a couple of years now, and will continue to do so.
Yayyy Lenco!!
Harvey
"WoW!!!! What an amazing thread this has been! "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I take it that since Jean has departed, the thread is dead?

Isn't there anything we can do here to keep improving the Lenco? Or has all that activity gone to Lenco Heaven and Lenco Référence (French)?
It seems like the plinth is still evolving. I asked a question on Lenco Heaven recently regarding making a plinth out of hardwood only - and there was/is speculation that Jean might be making his plinths like that now. Salvator's plinth looked like solid Oak - but maybe it was just solid wood over the traditional mdf/ply sandwich. I, for one, would like to talk about that.

Then there are at least three guys making or planning new bearings for the Lenco. I have two on order from Jeremy from Lenco Heaven.

Finally, I saw something the other day that peaked my curiosity: Garage-a-Records is selling an archival turntable with a delrin platter. It occurred to me that it would be really cool to experiment with the platter alone on a Lenco base.......

BTW: I just built a three arm Lenco G99 which I pretty-fied by painting it white - pics soon in my system.

Mike