Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
When you do finally get your website going Jean, I wish you the best. Thanks for carrying the torch for so long.
I have to good fortune of living in the same city as Jean and have had the opportunity to hear his work up close and personal on a couple of occasions. I was so impressed with his work I purchased a turntable from him about a year ago. Buying a table from Jean is not a transaction, it's an experience, and a very positive one at that!

When he returned from his travels he contacted me to let me know about the new spindle his machinist was building and asked if I would be interested in trying one out in my table. Limited offer as he was only going to offer it on his new tables after a period of time. I have to admit I was a little skeptical about a spindle making a significant difference.

Anyways Jean delivered and installed the spindle a few weeks ago and and I was shocked at the difference I heard right from the get go. There have been many descriptions of the effect of the upgrade in previous posts, I'll just reinforce my major observation. There was much more flow to the music with the new spindle, everything from rock to Jazz to Classical was much more musical and balanced to my ear. It's important to me that music draws me in emotionally and that my system gives me that experience. I have to say that the initial addition of the table did that for me and the upgrade to the new spindle magnified that experience.

Jean is a first class guy to deal with and I wish all the people I had dealings with in business had the kind of passion he has for his business and his field of expertise. Thanks Jean!
Good Luck Jean!! I wish you the Best...you deserve it!!!

Thanks for your time

Lawrence
Good Luck Jean!! I wish you the Best...you deserve it!!!

Thanks for your time

Lawrence
WoW!!!! What an amazing thread this has been! Jean, My apologies for not getting back to you regarding the Slate! I've had busy, crazy times, I am a father now... (3yrs. old! time flies) and a foster parent to two teenage boys, a career change, a major move.... but one thing has remained constant: My rather utilitarian looking, but incredible sounding Hybrid CLD/Slate Lenco!
I've not changed a single THING in over 2 years! And that's saying a lot... Phonostage, cartridges,amp, speakers, CD player have all changed, (some several times) But that Lenco has remained unchanged!!!
I want to thank all of you guys for your enthusiasm, and sharing of ideas, and encouragement! To find a component that truly completely satisfies in our often maddening hobby is a blessing... being able to DIY such a component is even more so!

Now.... I keep hearing about these bearings, and spindles and such, and I'm getting mighty curious!
Maybe it's time to haul out that old 88 I have gathering dust in the basement?
Muahahahahahaaa!
Daiwok, Jean, RF, and all of you other fellows, it's nice to know you are still out there, keeping it going and getting others interested!
I've been following Arthur's website for a couple of years now, and will continue to do so.
Yayyy Lenco!!
Harvey