Trying to get back into Lps, I seem to be throwing

I would appreciate some advice on what I can do to improve my record listening pleasure. I have rescently purchased the Project perspective turntable and have installed the Sumiko blackbird MC cartridge as well. So far I am very disappointed in the sound quality from top to bottom. At this point I seem to be throwing money right down the tubes. My equiptment consists of a McIntosh C37 preamp with the standard MM output and 2 McIntosh 7200 amps with Aerial 9 speakers. I also have an ESound E5 cd player which has been upgraded by Joseph Chow (early 70s Kenwwood fame).
powers55
Dear Powers: I agree with your friend: your C37 preamp is not up to the task. You need a better phonopreamp.
Your Blackbird is really a very fine cartridge that outperform easily your CD sound, but needs a lot better phonopreamp.

Btw, I don't know nothing about your Project TT/tonearm performance that " count " for the quality sound reproduction.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
In my experience, bass is one of cd's strengths compared to LP, so if that's your focus you're possibly in trouble. Lp's--even done cheaply (I have a very old Thorens table and a $50 cartridge)--have a quality of 'aliveness' that I don't find in cd's. Are you getting any of that? Good luck, and since you know what lp's sound like from way back, you should be able to achieve good results. I wonder sometimes about newbies who read the descriptions of analogue playback but have never heard it and what they must think the first time the needle runs over a scratch in the record.
I have a Blackbird (with MMF-7 TT and PH-3 phonostage) and it took a really long time to break in. Also the Blackbird will reveal any problems you have with other components.

The Blackbird comes with a really good booklet that you should follow. It recommends about 1 degree negative VTA (front of arm higher than back). Of course your experience may vary.

It also recommends readjusting after at least 50 hours becuase the "suspension" of the cartridge will soften up as it is broken in. So really there are two break-ins going on, electronically and mechanically. Of course if your phono stage is being used for the first time you have three breakin periods. Even more if your cables are new too.

BTW, if you are using the cables that came with the TT I am assuming it is the same stuff that is used with the Music Hall TT and that cable is cr-p so you may want to try a new one. Hang in there and readjust VTA and VTF after about 50-60 full LPs. Reassess your options after that.
I've stopped caring about people like this.

Why the f&*^%k are you throwing so much money into gear? Because you heard vinyl was superior to CD? Or because you actually heard a setup that dazzled.

If the former, serves you right. If the latter, get the same setup as the one you heard.
I have a 2 turntables hooked up to my C22/MC275 combination. An old Shure V15 Type III on a "high end" Technics and a Music Hall MMF7.

Both play excellant! I think the Sumiko is your problem...