Are Disc Players Dead?

How important is a disc player anymore? I think that stand alone DAC's have far eclipsed the stand alone disc player in importance over the last 3 years with the rise of server based music.

Only an SACD really needs a disc player anymore. In what instance can you get better sound from a disc player than when you download the music, CD or HiRez, then play it back through a new stand alone DAC with the latest technology?

I really only use my very humble disc player to watch movies that I own now. I download most movies to rent through AppleTV, and if I buy a CD (rare) I download it to the server, where it takes up residence in iTunes for playback in AIFF format.

So, disc players on their deathbed, as DAC move to the top of the digital mountain?

I say yes.
macdadtexas
After reading the responses I forgot the OP's question.
OK, just reread it.
I prefer my old 20 bit cdp with HDCD to my DAC. So much so I bought a spare laser assy to install when the original dies.
How in hell did this get to be a digital vs vinyl thread?
a disc player has a dac and a stand alone dac also has a dac.

obviously the cd player has a mechanism that "spins" discs.

it is the spinning that has been criticized, allegedly causing "errors". companies like ps audio and servers address the problems of listening to a disc while it is spinning.

in order to assert that the cd player is inferior to a stand alone srever and dac, or as some have used mac lap tops and dacs, one needs to edstablish the superiority of one over the other.

all it takes is one cd player which "sounds" better than separates to disprove the null hypothesis.

one can say that a particular cd player does not sound as good as a particular dac and transport mechanism, but one cannot generalize, unless one has sampled all cd players--an impossible task.

thus i think cd players will survive until there is sufficient evidence of their inferiority.
Timrhu,
Macdad is a BIG vinyl fan. I have read many of his posts on the subject. So, knowing that he considers vinyl to be alive, I tried to answer his question about digital discs from that perspective.

That is why I referred to vinyl.

I have nothing against anyone preferring vinyl to digital by the way.
Are Disc Players Dead?

When computer audio outperforms a top-line well done CD transport, the latter will be dead indeed. Unfortunately, so far, this is not the case, at least not in my book!

So enjoy the "dead" CD player/transport, and the music, of course! :-)

Best wishes,
Alex Peychev
Are turntables dead? There really aren't that many records being produced anymore and the used supply of records in good condition in music that people want is diminishing. Add that to the fact that everytime you play a record it is wearing out. It is a fact the turntable will be dead long before the disc player. It has been dying a slow death for years. The only thing keeping it alive is the low prices for used records.