Oppo BDP-95 sounds GREAT?

Stereophile Sept.: Oppo‘s BDP-95, it plays everything and sounds great. Any experience with it? How great is „great“ in reality? Great comparable to Wadia, EMMlabs or Esoteric? Great enough for those „masterings“ which gave us monthly sonic revolutions the last 20 years? ,Great‘ to impress anybody who hates CD‘s and is forced listening to it?
The sonic truth between 0 and 1? I am looking for a CD Player. Where‘s the experiemce of this reference sound quality secret?
128x128syntax
Digital satisfaction goes an interesting way. Years before it was not possible to listen to units below 20k without getting pain in the ear, now we talk about a 1k unit and even owners from much more expensive units don't escape. Any idea why it is so good?
My guess is the ESS saber dacs and the transformer. One thing to keep in mind Syntax is that this is an EXTREMELY good value but keep in mind the usual cavaets, YMMV. When I compare this unit to my TT set-up (Oracle/SME/Benz LO) it really does hold its own in several areas of performance especially resolving ambient information, really exceptional in this regard. To me this unit was a hedge bet, I wasn't sure if it would be satisfactory in its stock form; I needed a new transport in any case so it could be used for that plus all the other bonuses that are of little interest to me now but may come into play later. I was looking for a relatively cheap CD/SACD unit that has the platform for significant upgrading, I know how modifications can be a great route to go to another level without breaking the bank account along the way. Worse case scenero, I sell it and lose a few hundred bucks, it really is a no brainer, you need to hear this unit for yourself. Notice all the 83SE's for sale, wonder why? :)

I was listening last night to the Arthur Rubinstein SACD remasterings of the Chopin Ballades and Scherzos and was absolutely stunned at how superb this unit performed, capturing the performance to such a remarkable degree with much of the subtle nuance I hear on the vinyl recordings. No it doesn't get the tonality in the same way but it still is amazing to me that digital can be this good at this price point.
When I bought an Oppo BDP-95 two months ago for my main system I had low expectations, not least because I listen to vinyl 95% of the time in this system and my vinyl rig is good and pricey and carefully set up. But I figured, one box for redbook, SACD, and Netflix streaming, why not? While it was a bit edgy right out of the box, the longer it burns in, the better it sounds. Good power cords and cabling really help it. I've settled on a LessLoss Signature PC and Furutech Ref III OCC ICs, which combine to give it more flesh and authority without loss of resolution. Of course, using a PC and IC that each cost more that the Oppo itself is possibly insane, but I don't feel crazy when I listen to it. On the contrary, I'm very happy with the value and sound.
I recently purchased a 95. I have heard that some people suggest using an aftermarket power cord with the 95. Any suggestions for an under $100 cord that anyone has specifically had good results with on the 95?
I can't offer a specific suggestion on the below $100 limit but you could source 5 or 6 feet of power cable and the 2 end terminations and build your own (DIY) for under $100. It doesn't take but 20 minutes to build one and you have little invested to see if maybe just getting a larger gauge cable than the stock one provided gives you something beneficial. You can even go to HD or Lowes and get a 25 foot industrial grade (12 or 10 gauge) extension cord, lop off 6 feet and try it that way. I own the Oppo 95 and use a Shunyata cord (used price was well over $100) but I have used my own builds in the past that cost me less than $100 with good results.