Sony SCD-XA5400ES-Best SACD for under $10,000

This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for under $10,000. The Sony blows it away!!!
A unit costing $1500 besting all others under $10,000? That is exactly what it does!
For reference, I am using Audio Research electronics and Vandersteen speakers and subwoofers (about $30,000); a similar system has repeatedly been lauded as "best of show" at CES, so we are NOT talking second-rate stuff here.
This Sony is the only SACD/Cd player I have EVER heard that puts a classical piano live in my living room; nothing I ever had before even comes close.
This unit is a small miracle. I would have gladly paid $8000 for it, but if they want to give the thing away for $1500, who am I to argue?
This unit is going to send the engineers at Audio Research, Luxman, Esoteric, and Ayre back to the drawing board; their current units at 4 to 5 times the price are not even close. Some engineer at Sony is a freaking genius!!!
wa6itd
One definition is

"A shill or plant is a person who helps another person or organization to sell goods or services without disclosing that he or she has a close relationship with the seller. The shill pretends to have no association with the seller/group and gives onlookers the impression that he or she is an enthusiastic independent customer."
A lot of passion around this player. I have the Modwright version. Is it the best player with the mod under $10K, $20K? I don't know. Unless I can listen to players in a direct blind A/B test and switch between the two rapidly, my audio memory isn't that great. I will say that it sounds very good and betters the Sony 999ES Modwright that I had. I find it hard to justify buying anything new that is digital because of technology changes. My Modwright was used (like new) and I have upgraded the tubes, power chords and umbilical. At this point I don't have a desire change and am very satisfied with it's performance.
I had the Ayre C5xe Universal player and added the MP upgrade to it. I had to sell due to finances. Bought the Sony SCD-XA5400ES based on Audiogoners opinions here and am happy as heck I did. I find it better in most ways than the AYRE. I have just installed Audioprism reference ground control to the Sony and what an upgrade. I'll bet this has brought me close to halfof the way of what a modwright upgrade does performance-wise. It was a very large upgrade. I have also put ground controls on my amp and speakers, and every improves the sound markedly!
i ecenetly spoke to dan wright about his mods to the sony and the opp 83 se.

here is a choice. in essence, warmth vs detail. one is not better than other , rather one is different than another.

players have strengths and weaknesses. one man's rupture is another's rapture.

so it is highly conjectural to speak of best player under any dollar amount.

just listen as much as you can.

i happen to be in the market for an sacd player, but it won't be the 5400. hopefully, it will have a tube or two in it.