Sony SCD-XA5400ES-Best SACD for under $10,000

This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for under $10,000. The Sony blows it away!!!
A unit costing $1500 besting all others under $10,000? That is exactly what it does!
For reference, I am using Audio Research electronics and Vandersteen speakers and subwoofers (about $30,000); a similar system has repeatedly been lauded as "best of show" at CES, so we are NOT talking second-rate stuff here.
This Sony is the only SACD/Cd player I have EVER heard that puts a classical piano live in my living room; nothing I ever had before even comes close.
This unit is a small miracle. I would have gladly paid $8000 for it, but if they want to give the thing away for $1500, who am I to argue?
This unit is going to send the engineers at Audio Research, Luxman, Esoteric, and Ayre back to the drawing board; their current units at 4 to 5 times the price are not even close. Some engineer at Sony is a freaking genius!!!
wa6itd

Showing 5 responses by tuffy72561

Wywires Juice II is a really nice power cord. It bested Lessloss DFPC on the Sony in my system at half the cost. Also,try an Audioprism rca ground control on the Sony. This addition really opened up the sound of the Sony.
I had the Ayre C5xe Universal player and added the MP upgrade to it. I had to sell due to finances. Bought the Sony SCD-XA5400ES based on Audiogoners opinions here and am happy as heck I did. I find it better in most ways than the AYRE. I have just installed Audioprism reference ground control to the Sony and what an upgrade. I'll bet this has brought me close to halfof the way of what a modwright upgrade does performance-wise. It was a very large upgrade. I have also put ground controls on my amp and speakers, and every improves the sound markedly!
Blueskiespbd
I also like using the super black hole with my Sony 5400. I would highly recommend putting the HiFi Tuning supreme fuses in your Sony... and preamp for that matter. I first put 2 0.8 amp slow blow small fuses in the Sony ( big improvement ) and after 4 weeks decided to get one for my int. amp now after another 5 weeks I cannot believe how wonderful even a regular CD sounds like. These fuses do need at least 80 hours of play-time to breakin. Note, I also put Xtreme cables quicksilver gold on the ends of the fuses and this also is said take 3 weeks to break in at about 80% level.I have no doubt that the quicksilver gold is enhancing the fuses effect. I had also put an Audio Prism Ground Control ( RCA) on the Sony and it was very worthwhile teak, but not on the order of improvement as the fuses and at higher cost.
Wig

I don't think I saw where you reported back to us on how you liked your HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses on your Modwright Sony.