Sony SCD-XA5400ES-Best SACD for under $10,000

This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for under $10,000. The Sony blows it away!!!
A unit costing $1500 besting all others under $10,000? That is exactly what it does!
For reference, I am using Audio Research electronics and Vandersteen speakers and subwoofers (about $30,000); a similar system has repeatedly been lauded as "best of show" at CES, so we are NOT talking second-rate stuff here.
This Sony is the only SACD/Cd player I have EVER heard that puts a classical piano live in my living room; nothing I ever had before even comes close.
This unit is a small miracle. I would have gladly paid $8000 for it, but if they want to give the thing away for $1500, who am I to argue?
This unit is going to send the engineers at Audio Research, Luxman, Esoteric, and Ayre back to the drawing board; their current units at 4 to 5 times the price are not even close. Some engineer at Sony is a freaking genius!!!
wa6itd
Rgs92:
Headphone-based findings remove the room-related factors.
and impose an entirely different set of factors.

Kal
Excellent points guys, regarding room issues....the room will get ya every time, if it isn't factored in and dealt with properly.
MrTennis,

Did your tech recommend an op amp to replace the existing op amps in the Sony?

I was told the the existing ones were of good quality.

Thanks
hi wesstborn:

i don't own a sony but have been considering a purchase. so far the lowest price for a new unit has been $1100. i am waiting to get lucky, and pull the trigger when one becomes avilable for under $1000,. i may not be so lucky.

actually a friend commented upon the fact that opamps in most stock cd players are not the best quality and replacing them can often improve the sound. the question is replacing the stock op amp(s) with what ?

i believe that the modwright mod includes a replacement of the opamps, but am niot sure. his mod is expensive--$1400.

this player has received many comments that extol its virtues, while others highlight its flaws, so i figure, if i buy the player, i would like to be protected by paying under $1000 for a new one, in case i don't like it.

i hope my comments are helpful.