Sony SCD-XA5400ES-Best SACD for under $10,000

This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for under $10,000. The Sony blows it away!!!
A unit costing $1500 besting all others under $10,000? That is exactly what it does!
For reference, I am using Audio Research electronics and Vandersteen speakers and subwoofers (about $30,000); a similar system has repeatedly been lauded as "best of show" at CES, so we are NOT talking second-rate stuff here.
This Sony is the only SACD/Cd player I have EVER heard that puts a classical piano live in my living room; nothing I ever had before even comes close.
This unit is a small miracle. I would have gladly paid $8000 for it, but if they want to give the thing away for $1500, who am I to argue?
This unit is going to send the engineers at Audio Research, Luxman, Esoteric, and Ayre back to the drawing board; their current units at 4 to 5 times the price are not even close. Some engineer at Sony is a freaking genius!!!
wa6itd

Showing 11 responses by dave_b

Just a sidebar here, I owned the 5400 and then Modwrighted it...just great! Recently I picked up an NAD C565BEE for my sitting room system...I'm blown away! Very fleshed out and sexy sounding with weight and authority..sweet highs. If SACD is not a priority then this could warm your soul for redbook!
A great power cord CAN make improvements, but to what extent they effect ones perception of the sound is as unpredictable as the individual using it. An MIT power cord will address many aspects of powerline contamination, which will allow the component to deliver vastly superior performance in real world terms, such as better dynamics and dynamic contrasts, superior low level resolution and reduced distortion. Imaging and tonal accuracy are often discernible as well. Of course you don't have to believe ME...just arrange for an in home demo from Joe Abrams at Equus Audio online.
I have an NAD C565BEE which sounds far more engaging than the Playback Designs....it's for the listener who want's to hear digits instead of music.
Rfogel8, I've owned $4k power cords and $20K plus wires with many 6 figure systems over many years....my meager AC 1 has been around for years and the system I speak of is for my smallish sitting room. I did mention that what one hears is dependant on the individual, in other words, not everyone listens for the same things. Some aren't able to or simply don't put a priority on low level resolution or micro dynamic contrast...hell some wouldn't know the sound of a violin from a viola. Small improvements in a reference system are HUGE for the audiophile anyway! I've been to so called audiophile parties where the volume level barely reached that of a small am radio at 20 paces, and there was more hum in the system then musical content. Habits and priorities will determine alot of what is decided during ones evaluation of a given product.
Excellent points guys, regarding room issues....the room will get ya every time, if it isn't factored in and dealt with properly.
The Sony Modwright is a great player for music lovers and is a bargain at the asking price of $3500. I sold mine for financial reasons and a change of environment. The Sony easily competes with the best available:O)
In the abstract you are correct Mrtennis, but practicaly speaking, some things are better than others for the money. The 5400, modded or not, is such a player. The NAD C565BEE is another overachiever, albeit for a different buyer perhaps. Balance is the word that comes to mind, and I'll take that over exteme detail, warmth, smoothness or any other hyper characteristic. I find the best way to evaluate any component/system is to utilize live recordings...ones I have had experience with from direct participation or those that I have used repeatedly for evaluation of several different systems.
My Modwrighted 5400 was not overly detailed or hyper resolving in the least. It did have warmth, palpability, dynamics, killer bass and sweet extended highs. It was the fine balance of sound it struck that won me over.
Not an issue with the units I’ve owned, but I did find a replacement spinner that has made me very happy since!  I purchased a Yamaha CD-S2100 and have found it to be exceptional and reliable.  It does have a quite robust transport mechanism which is definitely light years beyond the Sony.  For $2999 it is a heavyweight player with accurate tonality and clean extension with terrific soundstaging.  FWIW