Is the idea of audiophile listening a dying concept as boomers die off?

I’m a boomer myself and was wondering if any other listeners have knowledge or data on how much of a declining industry high end audio is in general? Or am I mistaken and it’s not dying off at all?

tubelvr11

Many of the younger folks are not into acquiring things that tie them down. That’s why streaming with their phones or earbuds is so popular…in addition to being way less expensive.  Many are also controlled by what’s socially acceptable too. I believe Audiophile's will always exist as these younger gen’s grow up, get more disposable cash and they become are less mobile.  I see the expansion of hifi desktop speakers, powered speakers and hifi integrated systems as a means to attract the upcoming audiophiles.  

I went to law school in my late 40's from 1999-2003. I owned a stereo shop at the time. One girl said that she didn't understand the need for expensive gear because her boom box played louder than she needed. This was a law school student not the village idiot. 

Check the demographic at hi fi shows - male and old!

Lot's of women enjoy other predominantly 'male' hobbies; cars, motorcycles, mountain biking, competitive shooting, gardening.  

Any thoughts on why there are not more women audio enthusiasts? 

Bottom line for me. Industry is doing fine. Look at any of the recommendation threads here. 1 question, 100 brands mentioned and recommended. No real consolidation, no companies dominating the market, lots of new entries every year and very few companies that seem to be shutting down. Especially the amount of cable companies always amazes me. Low initial investment and high margins it seems. 

Forum is always active, I think we are in good shape…

Audiophile listening isn't dying.  The music worth listening to is old, just like the audiophiles who listen to it. We are a dying breed of connoisseurs, soon to be extinct. Equipment designers see that and are exploiting their dwindling market before it's completely gone.