Is the idea of audiophile listening a dying concept as boomers die off?

I’m a boomer myself and was wondering if any other listeners have knowledge or data on how much of a declining industry high end audio is in general? Or am I mistaken and it’s not dying off at all?

tubelvr11

@rok2id There is plenty of midrange gear around, and a huge home theater/distributed audio market that targets that segment. Just check out Best Buy or Target or Wally World or Crutchfield. Sony, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, etc. still pump out lots of under a grand units, and not just Marantz, but other nameplates in the higher end do the same. Parasound may make megabucks gear, but they also make a lot of entry level gear. Plus there are companies like Emotiva and Schitt and Topping and others who market directly for the mid level consumer.

I remember my first encounter with the audiophile market in the 70s. Pretentious salespeople tried to upsell customers and were downright rude when rebuffed. (Little has changed, alas.) I researched speakers for my cousin, all of 15 at the time, but interested in good sound. We found a well regarded speaker that he could buy with what he had saved from his summer job. We drove the 50 miles to Raleigh to buy a pair, having found two dealers that stocked them. The first dealer did not want to honor the price he gave on the phone, and when we told him that was the budget, he sneered "so you really are in THAT price range?" We just turned and left, going to the other dealer. Their quote was more, but they honored it, and treated us to an audition of the next level, AFTER the transaction. They understood the concept of priming the pump. The first dealer did not get a bigger sale, nor even the extra forty bucks. The second dealer earned a lifetime of repeat business and referrals. I estimate my referrals added 30-50 grand to his sales, all gained from not humiliating a teenager over a 300 dollar purchase.

That first dealer is the one that makes people, as the younger generations say, cringe. Wine tasting groups and stores can have the same vibe. People are still buying and enjoying wine and spirits at all prices and with all levels of sophistication and appreciation. How we buy and share our interests has changed, but fundamentally, much remains the same. We all seek people who share our interests and respect our tastes and circumstances.

@phillyrover:

Of course you are correct.  I am just letting off steam over the current prices.  When I think of some of the inexpensive stuff I have purchased in the past, like Harman Kardon HK3490 ($299) and Marantz PM7200 ($500) and Polk Lsim705 ($1500pr), and then consider what it will cost to replace them with similar items.  Nearest Marantz would be $3000!  But in some sense, audio has never been cheaper.  Maybe I just like the wrong brands.

Thanks

Cheers

Every piece of evidence I see indicates that the audio industry is flourishing.

• Sales are setting records.
  • New retail locations are opening.
  • Every time I read Stereophile or TAS I learn of another manufacturer that has entered the US market or is introducing a new line. 
  • Companies like Mofi are releasing a steady stream of new mid priced products. 
  • I've never seen so much used equipment available.
  • The Music Direct catalog is becoming as thick as a phone book with hundreds of moderately priced products. 
  • New audiophile vinyl labels are opening steadily, especially jazz.
  • Audio shows are operating across the country and are drawing record crowds.
  • The A/V Contracting and Home Automation business is booming.
  • I believe that audio forum participation is increasing (correct me I'm wrong about this).

There is no doubt that the ultra high end is on fire but it gets a disproportionate amount of publicity. While everyone rants about six-figure gear the mid priced stuff flies ot the door. 

Gen X here and love my system started way back in my 30s that would be the late 90s and in that time only met a handful of others into good sound in person. Outside of CAF and at my dealers that is and a few friends have gotten into vinyl and have starter systems and that's cool. There is so much good gear out there now and still tons of affordable stuff.

I think the high end is generally doing fine...but the days of many/most homes having a decent/good stereo are mostly over..,