external crossover recommendations

What would you recommend to pull off the low pass signal and send it to a subwoofer, prior to the preamp?

thanks
dgaylin
Why prior to the preamp? How will you control volume for all channels that way? Usually, the crossover is in or after the preamp. Also, what are you connecting up?

Kal
The best analog crossover in terms of pure sonics IMO is the Pass xvr1 although it's very expensive and does not allow ( obviously) for digital room correction like a DEQX digital unit does.
I use a Velodyne SMS -1 (between pre & power amp) with great success. The unit has room analysis and PEq along with a very flexible low pass x-over and a basic high pass x-over (fixed @80hz, 12db/octave). If you need a different high pass set-up for your mains, you can afford a good one because the SMS is available on-line for $600.

Good Luck

Marty
One more thought:

Marchand is a popular choice for external x-overs. They're not crazy expensive (starting <$1K) and reportedly sound good - though I've never hear one myself.

Marty
The Rives sub-PARC. It was designed just for that and has continuous phase adjustment and parametric EQ for the bass section. It also has an amplifier for the subs.

Rives sub-PARC