It's your streamer, not your modem

So many discussions I've seen lately have been about upgrading Internet devices, especially the modems and routers to get the best possible audio.  Audiogoners are talking about installing 10 GigE (10 Gigabits per second) cable for signals that barely need 10 megabits per second.  Three full orders of magnitude more bandwidth than required by hi resolution audio.  (192 k/24 bit)

I've also seen discussions about home Internet getting a little higher latency and jitter.

None of this should matter with a decent streamer.  Let me give you an example.  Because my work requires me to be online with high reliability I have two different Internet providers and a switch that detects failure in one and switches me to another.

It takes the switch approximately 40 seconds to detect the Internet is down and fail over to the other.  40 seconds.  40,000 milliseconds. For this testing I shut the modem off.  In that moment, for the next 40 seconds, I had no working Internet.  Then my back-up 5G Internet took over.  About 3 minutes after that my primary Internet's modem has rebooted and my router has recognized it as available and switched back over.

During the testing I coincidentally had Roon playing a random Jazz selection.

Not once did my audio stop.  Not even a hiccup.

Why?  Buffering.  Roon had gotten the entire song and doled it out to my end point a little at a time. 

Point is, modem quality, router quality, switches, and Ethernet cables don't matter that much.  What does is the size of the buffer and the effectiveness of the anti-jitter circuitry in the DAC.

I do by the way recommend shielded cables, Ethernet isolators and gas discharge surge protectors, but sweat a modem or router?  Not me.

erik_squires

Erik,

I completely agree, although I came at it from the listening side of it. I am sure electrical, physical interference, jitter… etc are the cause. The best solution is a good streamer.

I’ll chime in to say that the streamer is incredibly important, but the technologies in the router, switch and Ethernet cables in my chain make a huge, audible improvement as well. Take it for what you will as I am an authorized Synergistic Research dealer, but I purchased their Ethernet Switch UEF long before I was a dealer for them. It replaced an Uptone EtherRegen with a $700 Farad Super3 LPS and $1K power cable, and the SR Switch delivered a quieter noise floor, more relaxed, but naturally discernible Sonics over my previous switch setup. Moreso, I added the Router UEF after I became a dealer, which further lowered the noise floor and  increased the harmonics. All of this is feeding my Aurender N30SA.

It is a bit of a PITA to have a fully separate audio network apart from my home network, but the sonic advantages are worth it to me. YMMV. But where Erik mentioned router choices for speed, it’s not about that. Internet devices can be crazy noisy, and in SR’s case, benefits are evident given the way they handle the EMI, reclock the signal, etc.

At the end of the day, I agree a better streamer is a more worthwhile investment, but if you’re already investing in a quality streamer, do not hesitate to explore opportunities for improvement further upstream.  

cable is inherently noisy and using isolators and switches to clean it up has proven effective widely. It isn’t just the streamer’s buffering, EMI/RFI and ground level noise do corrupt signals beyond most DAC’s cleanup capabilities and reclocking makes subsequent stages at both streamer and DAC audibly better. In audio everything matters and monocausal explanations tend to be wide off the mark

All your saying may be true in part But

These pathetic $5 wall warts for router and ethernet switch

Induce a Ton of noise , put linear power supplies on them  it would dramatically 

Lower the noise floor , and decdnt quality cables 

A must if you want a streamer that sounds respectable 

And a good digital power cord .

I purchased a  Audio Art Signature digital power

Cord and sounds much cleaner then more expensive 

High current power cord , very surprising but true

Everything counts.

@audioman58 I hope you are right about the Audio Art Signature digital power.  I ordered one last Friday.