Amp — Leave on or turn off

I always turned my Benchmark AHB2 amp off after use every night. After all, why is there an on off switch on the front panel if not to do that? Last night I accidentally left it on. This morning, when I played my first record, I couldn’t believe my ears. The same record I played last night sounded infinitely better. I tried a second record and that, too, was much better.
I know there’s a debate on the question of leaving an amp on all the time.
I now know where I stand!

128x128rvpiano

@soix "..but I know some other manufacturers recommend turning it off so may be product specific (obviously you don’t wanna leave a Class A or tube amp on). Anyway, I’m with you on just leaving it on."

My primary all-tube system with tube preamplifier and mono tube amps have easily accessible on/off power switches. Warms for 45m prior to use, does ok.

Now the secondary system I’m working on now, solid state Class A amp has a power switch on front, and yet the matching Class A preamp has no power switch at all. Plug in the preamp, and it’s left powered on all of the time, as designed.

I can honestly say both systems do sound better, or at their best, when all of the components are good and warm, big iron transformers extra warm and saturated at 4+ hours. What was odd and memorable was rechecking after being left on for 24hrs, could usually hear something a little extra special or more engaging each time. Same occurred with many of my former Class A/AB dual mono solid state amps.  Reaching that optimum sustained operating temperature perhaps. I try not to leave any of them on though for more than 4 days max, if I know I’m not gonna use it for a week or more fwtw.

This what others have already said, component dependent.  Our tubes amps change in about 20-30 minutes and can max out in 2 hours or less.

Happy Listening.

I think what the manufacturer recommends is irrelevant.  What matters  is your own ears, and your willingness to pay the electric bills. :D

If you can't hear a difference, leave your gear off.  If you can, leave it on.  It's that simple.  No measurement is going to tell you any better.

RV, I have repeated your experiment a number of times with the same results. On longer always sounds better, but with diminishing returns, for about a week.

Its’s true of my DIY phono/pre - it’s on all the time. It’s true of my DIY Class A amps (they idle continuously at half power). It’s true of my Bryston SST in the HT (although B recommends turning it off). But since HT doesn’t matter nearly so much, I do turn the B off, and then back on an hour before - but an hour isn’t really enough.

My cartridges take 10-40 minutes too.

As for the car analogy, I ALWAYS used to warm up my engine carefully, and my tires too, before taking a fast lap.

YMMV