TacT, Lyngdorf, Audyssey Pre/Pro, PARC?

I would greatly appreciate thoughts on these various RCS systems. Kal Rubinson has done a great job reviewing several of them. On the basis of his reviews and some research, I know the following:

- the PARC is an analog equalizer, effective but paired down compared to the others. But if you have a dedicated analog source (turntable, SACD) it is the only option without going A-D-A.

- Lyngdorf broke away from TacT. How are these two systems different? Better, worse? There is some concern that DACs in the TacT units are not wonderful, so better to use an external DAC?

- Audyssey. Used to be for Pros. Now it is available in Pre/Pros and receivers. But some very good ones. How does it compare in sound quality and capabilities to the TaCT system?

How does one differentiate among, and decide on which unit to get. The TacT units seem to be most recommended by Audiophiles, and yet there is the concern about the DACs.

The pre/pros certainly offer a lot more for the same price. How does their sound quality compare?

Sorry for the ramble. Your thoughts -- as always -- most appreciated.
whynot
BTW, if you have the space available, the SVS subs wil smoke the Velos (on paper, anyway) at the same price. Alas, at the time of purchase, I didn't have the space.

Marty
BTW, one advantage of any EQ or measurement system that has a good display is that you can use it to optimize sub placement and to view the effects of acoustical treatements. Not an insignificant feature.

Kal
"Lyngdorf broke away from TacT. How are these two systems different? Better, worse? There is some concern that DACs in the TacT units are not wonderful, so better to use an external DAC?"

The Lyngdorf RCS offers only analog inputs/outputs and has a limited number of target curves. I don't think the Lyngdorf RCS has a GUI.

TacT RCS has analog and digital inputs/outputs and a wide range of target curves with the ability for user modification. The TacT RCS 2.2X & XP also provide digital crossovers for the integration of subs. The XP adds DRC, XTC, Variable correction and some other new features.

TacT performance can be improved with some upgrades offered by Aberdeen Components/Maui Mods.
Kana is mistaken. The stand alone RC processor from Lyngdorf accepts digital inputs. I believe that some of their other RC products may not. He may be right, however, regarding the lack of a GUI. My understanding is that the TacT products offer more flexibility/control, including the ability to output results to a PC. Per my way too many posts, above, you know that I found this feature critically important in my efforts.

OTOH, some have complained about dificulties in using the TacT (and a few have bitched about the sound - to be expected from this bunch). Nevertheless, I'd suggest you search these threads for people's experience with the various devices since I was unable to check them out personally.

Marty
Marty-

I was referring to the RP-1.

You're right the DPA-1 does have digital inputs and a single digital output, which means you can digitally output either a hi-passed or low-passed signal, but not both at the same time like the TacT RCS 2.2X & XP.

To use subs with the DPA-1, you need to physically measure the distance from your main speakers to your subs to calculate delays.

The TacT calculates delays automatically.

I agree the TacT has a steep learning curve, but there's lots of help available on the yahoo users forums. People interested in improving SQ should visit:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheRealTacTHackers