Help me find a pre-amp

Hello everyone.  I’ve done loads of searches & reading of threads on here.  I need to find a pre amp & make a final decision on amp to upgrade my sound.  Source will be purely digital (Qobuz) streamed from Aurender A200 (my two channels are also used for TV). Synergistic research cables.  For power amp I’m down to Rogue DragoN or a McIntosh 612.  Speakers are Chapman T-7.  I want the shityy recordings of 70s & 80s rock to come to life & fill the room(Rush, Van Halen etc)

The budget I have in mind for a pre is <$5k.
From all I’ve read here The Modwright L100 seems to be highly recommended, but I have not heard it.  
Thanks for your opinions!

128x128rkfaberdds

Vthokie, that is great list of candidates.  Curious if you have auditioned all of them and what are the other main components in your system that you’re pairing with?

rkfaberdds,

So far have auditioned: Rogue RP9, Audio Research Ref 5SE, and BAT VK-80. Tomorrow I am going to audition the Backert Labs Rhumba 1.4 and the Rhumba Extreme 1.4. Auditioning has been more difficult than I thought, because of differing amps and speakers at stores. The valuable piece is that each dealer has the Rogue RP9, so I can compare each preamp to that model to get a baseline.

I also had 2 6SN7 based preamps, the Aric Audio Motherlodes, and the Don Sachs Revelation; I have since dropped the Sachs for a variety of reasons, in favor of the Aric Audio....and it will definitely be a finalist for me. Aric has been a dream to deal with, honest in his opinions, and extremely responsive. I want fully balanced design, so the Motherlode XL is what I am considering.

I mean how is the Aesthetix, Calypso not in your sights? They're still a few bucks under $5K new aren't they? I have a Calypso Signature you & might find pre-owned for $5K-ish. Should definately be on your list - up your tube game with some great NOS Telefunken/Siemans/Amperex and you're in business

bgross,

I am sure that the Aesthetix is a great preamp, but I couldn't consider everything....I'm guessing there are a dozens of really good preamps, something for everyone.

I’d be very interested in how the high value tube preamps mentioned above which are also on my short list compare with something like the Holo Serene KTE at $3100. The assumption is that the Serene would lack tube magic.  I get that but based on some of the very positive reviews that are out there it may still be worth considering.  It seems only a very few have been able to do this comparison.