Holo Audio May KTE vs DCS Rossini Player / Clock

Like the title says.

I’ve been using the Holo May DAC for a while and really like it a lot. Because it’s what I do I bought the DCS to try out as an alternative or possible upgrade to the May DAC.

I don’t have the DCS (none Apex) home yet but I’m wondering if anyone has compared these two units as DACs and what your experience is? Also, can anyone comment on the Apex upgrade… at $9k that’s a lot of moolah, can it be justified? 
I’m using an Aurender N10 as source, various amps, preamps, and main speakers currently are the ProAc D40R which tend a little to the warm side, this being one of the prime reasons for trying something a little more neutral than an R2R DAC.

I will report back with what I hear, but predictions??

Rooze

128x128rooze

@rooze ,

So, did you move to the DCS? Did you compare the DCS Vs Holo? If yes, can you please share your experience?

@milpai Yes, I’ve moved away from the May KTE DAC. The May is a fantastic DAC and I’ve enjoyed it a ton. I’ll set it up in the second system pretty soon or maybe move it along.

The dCS has more of everything apart from warmth. So the May is on the warmer side of neutral where the dCS Rossini is right in the middle, as neutral as I’ve heard. Which is exactly what my system needed, with the ProAcs and the KT66 amp.

The Rossini sounds bigger, images are more defined and more stable within the soundstage. There’s more detail but the top end is beautifully integrated and never harsh sounding.

So I’m quite happy for now. Also, the best sounding way to connect to the Rossini is via its own Mosaic app with a NAS hard drive so I can free up my Aurender N10 as it isn’t needed. Another shelf opening up for something new!

So the May is on the warmer side of neutral where the dCS Rossini is right in the middle, as neutral as I’ve heard.

Than You @rooze for this important feedback. I am still a few months away from getting a new DAC. But collecting all the user feedback on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that I need a DAC that should be neutral. A bit bright might not hurt, but a warm DAC will most likely not work for me.

@milpai Keep in mind that with the May DAC you can switch between NOS function and oversampling mode. NOS gives you the extra body and that hint of warmth where oversampling is more detailed and a little more neutral. So you have shaping options with the Holo May. It’s a great DAC IMHO.