Vandersteen Treo vs 3A Sig as upgrade

I had my local dealer hook up a pair of Treos to demo them and left with a very mixed impression. I like the overall sound. They have a smoother, more refined and sophisticated midrange that the 3A Sigs can't match. I want that. But the bass was less defined and the top end was bright. The sibilance was very exaggerated - this was with CD. Is this the character of the Treo? Thanks!
wlutke
Ctsooner -

I made a vague comment to Randy about the bass, not specific as to the quality or the quantity. His response was that the Treo was designed to be used up against a wall to reinforce the bass, and that they would have a bigger sound. They were out from the wall a few feet by necessity - he has a ton of excellent gear in a very modest size room. What I did not ask him to specifically address was the *quality* of the bass. I found the bass was ok at adding "meat to the bones" of say a vocalist or piano. But when called upon to be the driving instrumental force it too often resulted in an abbreviated thud that was neither tight nor tuneful. I'm certainly no expert but I attribute this to a small driver in a small ported cabinet. I left my vinyl at home (motorcycle, 300 mile round trip) and brought along a well recorded CD with appropriate tracks - Putumayo "Blues Lounge". Some tracks ok, some not, played on an Ayre multi format player at a very moderate volume, one that allowed conversation without a raising of voice.
My 40 minute snapshot of the Treos can only be taken for what it is - a first impression. Anyone interested in them should take a serious listen for themselves. I'm sure you have gotten yours all sorted out to your satisfaction. They are not for me, however.
One man's bass is another man's mud....Which is ok, as everyone's taste in music and it's reproduction varies. I feel the Treos mid to upper bass range very tuneful. The bottom octave has just a trace of drama. But then again, I like that too. I would like to listen to my Treos with a couple of Vandy subs, as this would be a natural up grade progression for me. I think that might alleviate some of the bass issues Wlutke talked about. That is if he would be so inclined to check it out.
Mr-m said:

"I would like to listen to my Treos with a couple of Vandy subs ... I think that might alleviate some of the bass issues Wlutke talked about. That is if he would be so inclined to check it out. "

I'm 6 1/2 hour round trip from checking that out for you. Could you possibly take it upon yourself to confirm?
LOL..W, if you liked everything but the bass wasn't low enough, then you could easily get two Vandy subs to pair with the Treo's. YES, this WILL give you sub terrainian bass and of high quality. It will also help the Treo's a bit, but it will really be a nice thing for your amp as it won't have to work as hard, plus the way Richard does the bass amps, they will have the same sound signature of your amp. That's the part I personally like the best.

Again, you are giving them a try. I just don't know of a lot of speakers in this class that will give you full range sound with the subtle qualities that make properly set up Vandy's special. as we all know, getting great bass does cost a few dollars. Please keep us posted on your quest. The great dealers like Randy, Bruce in SD and Johnny in NJ all have other speakers they offer to folks who don't love a specific brand. You should also call Richard. I promise you that he'll be up front and brutally honest about how to get the most bass out of Treo's and he'll be the one who can tell you what you would get with a pair of his subs. Good luck and keep us posted please
I don't think it's a question of bass quantity, but of quality. If the OP doesn't care for this aspect, well that's that. No matter how much you wish it so, not everyone is going to like the Treos.

Shakey