Vandersteen Treo vs 3A Sig as upgrade

I had my local dealer hook up a pair of Treos to demo them and left with a very mixed impression. I like the overall sound. They have a smoother, more refined and sophisticated midrange that the 3A Sigs can't match. I want that. But the bass was less defined and the top end was bright. The sibilance was very exaggerated - this was with CD. Is this the character of the Treo? Thanks!
wlutke
Thanks Z, I get that, but it's also not easy to communicate via net boards. I"m very well known on Oklahoma Sooner internet sports boards and I've been doing it since 97 or so and I often am taken the wrong way. Bottom line is that he wants good advice and if he reads my last post, that probably is the real reason for what he heard.
I just got back from another demo of the Treos at a different dealer. The first demo that I mentioned in my OP was sort of slapped together by my local dealer. The speakers were walked into an approximate triangle, Kinber 8TC hooked up as a bi-wire and tied to an integrated tube amp of unknown power rating - "I don't know". Hmmm. Today was much different - with different results. I had emailed Randy at Optimal Enchantment in Santa Monica that I might be stopping by about noon the next day (today) and that I was interested in the Treos. When I arrived there they were, already set up, wired up and the gear warmed up with Diana Krall on a Basis/Lyra Atlas combo, ARC REF2 phono and Ref5 (SE ?, I didn't notice), Audio quest IC's and SC and ARC REF 150's I believe. Randy was knowledgeable, friendly and accommodating. I give him five out of five stars.
So how many stars did the Treo earn in this new configuration? Hint: not 5. True, the top end sizzle was completely absent, as in gone. Not tipped up at all. Star for the Treo.
The midrange was a treat. Clean, clear and focussed like my 3A Sigs just can't by comparison. Female vocals were really well done. Piano, check. imaging, check. Three more stars for the Treo.
The bass. The bass (shakes head) - A deal killer for me. Sometimes ok, sometimes not. But when it was not, it could be really distracting. Thump, Thump. Definitely do a demo with your music preference before making a decision because YMMV. Add no stars.
Now I'm stepping aside and let the thread live or die on its own. I've got my answer. Thanks to all you who participated. It's been a blast!
Interesting. Bass is the most expensive part of the spectrum to get right. Teh Quatro's give you that last bit of deep, tuneful bass, but honestly I have had no problems getting great bass from mine as long as the recordings gave it to me. I have found that some of my recordings, both vinyl and Digital haven't always been up to snuff. At least you got to hear them at Randy's. What did he say about the bass?
Ctsooner -

I made a vague comment to Randy about the bass, not specific as to the quality or the quantity. His response was that the Treo was designed to be used up against a wall to reinforce the bass, and that they would have a bigger sound. They were out from the wall a few feet by necessity - he has a ton of excellent gear in a very modest size room. What I did not ask him to specifically address was the *quality* of the bass. I found the bass was ok at adding "meat to the bones" of say a vocalist or piano. But when called upon to be the driving instrumental force it too often resulted in an abbreviated thud that was neither tight nor tuneful. I'm certainly no expert but I attribute this to a small driver in a small ported cabinet. I left my vinyl at home (motorcycle, 300 mile round trip) and brought along a well recorded CD with appropriate tracks - Putumayo "Blues Lounge". Some tracks ok, some not, played on an Ayre multi format player at a very moderate volume, one that allowed conversation without a raising of voice.
My 40 minute snapshot of the Treos can only be taken for what it is - a first impression. Anyone interested in them should take a serious listen for themselves. I'm sure you have gotten yours all sorted out to your satisfaction. They are not for me, however.
One man's bass is another man's mud....Which is ok, as everyone's taste in music and it's reproduction varies. I feel the Treos mid to upper bass range very tuneful. The bottom octave has just a trace of drama. But then again, I like that too. I would like to listen to my Treos with a couple of Vandy subs, as this would be a natural up grade progression for me. I think that might alleviate some of the bass issues Wlutke talked about. That is if he would be so inclined to check it out.