Audio Quest Niagara 5000

I’m very interested in purchasing a AQ Niagara 5000. I’ve read and heard that there is a buzzing noise from the transformer. And on a utube video from Jays audio lab when he demoed the AQ 5000 and Shunyata Denali he said the hum from the AQ 5000 was also going through his speakers  Does anyone own AQ 5000 and can tell me how bad the hum is ? Also this is a power conditioner / surge protector. But I’m really wanting it for the power conditioning. If there is a hum from the transformer and it’s supposed to take all bad dirty electricity from your line why would anyone want this power conditioner that the transformer hums and u can here it from up to 2 ft away. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

I own the AudioQuest 7000. I hear no hum. But I suppose if I stuck my ear on top of the unit, I could probably detect something. Noise heard thru the speakers? No way, BS.

All transformers will produce some noise. I guess it would depend on what you have the conditioner sitting on. A vibrating thin flexible shelve would probably be a bad idea.

The benefits of using the AudioQuest power conditioner is way larger than any type of noise issue you may perceive. And I have tried all of the big-name conditioners.

My 7000 powers not only my front end equipment but also 2 very large and powerful mono amps (Michi 8). The amps sound better and are more dynamic than just plugging them into the wall outlet! I think the AudioQuest circuitry is supposed to be able to store enough current for very large peak demands. Something like 90 amps!

BTW, Don’t believe Jay’ audio lab, he is typically full of it... All for show and probably for money.

ozzy

I have also been considering the 5000 but I am not sure it will power my 4 source components, tube preamp and Mac 300wpc amp.  What do you think?  I could never afford the 7000. 

@ozzy  From what I understood from Jays utube video was when the power correction switch was engaged that he heard the buzzing from his speakers. I originally also of using it for my Audio Research Ref 750 mono blocks but Audio Research responded to an email from me and they said they don’t recommend using a power conditioner for those amps. But for my ARC ref cd9 and Ref 6 se that would be fine. That question was for the 5000 not the 7000. Maybe it would be ok if  the ref 750s went into the 7000. 

From what I understood from Jays utube video was when the power correction switch was engaged that he heard the buzzing from his speakers ...

Jay used to have a thread here and a few users and myself figured out he had some pretty big problems with his AC lines. He couldn't imagine that his electrician got it wrong and left A'gon got in quite a huff.

I actually think Jay is probably a pretty good guy. But, like a lot of these YT "influencers," he thinks he's beyond reproach. They're just not a reliable source of information - consider that their whole premise is built on lossy audio. That makes no sense, but I guess they provide drama and "excitement" of the vicarious sort.

Do not use a power conditioner with ARC amps. They always sound better directly into the wall outlet.