Benchmark DAC1 Pre vs. Bel Canto DAC3

Anyone compare these two DAC's? They both have volume adjustment and USB inputs and I was wondering how they compared sound-wise. The used Bel Canto seems to presently cost the same as a new DAC1 Pre. Thanks in advance.
imaginarynumbers
Imaginary,

The "Windows Media Sharing" feature of Windows Media Player has to be enabled to allow other network devices, like the Roku or a Squeezebox, to share media files, including music files.

A DAC connected physically via USB does not communicate via a network, so I am pretty certain this would not apply in that case. See if you can find a USB DAC user guide available on-line somewhere. The user guide should indicate what if any special setup is needed for Windows, etc., if any. Most likely, a driver has to be installed and configured and that is it.

Here's an example:

http://www.usbdacs.com/Windows/Windows.html

Interestingly, this indicates that Vista is preffered for better sound quality than XP due to XP resident software that messes with the bits somehow. I can vouch that the sound quality on Vista using the networked media sharing approach is top notch. I suspect the same should be true for a USB DAC + driver as well.

Good luck!
I have both units, however, the DAC1 is an older unit without USB. I like them both but the Bel Canto sounds better and would be my choice if I had to keep only one.
Can anyone speak to the quality of the analog section of the BM Dac1 Pre? While 80% of my listening is digital from either a CDP or Squeezebox, I still love to spin vinyl. Benchmark has made it's name on its DAC, but just how good is the analog section of this unit? Is it an afterthought or is it the real deal?
Mapman and others,

Thanks for all the insights. I am trying to build a digital/itunes stored audiophile system. Some say this is an oxymoron but your comments are encouraging. Here is what I have so far as a start: Rotel amp, B&W CM7 speakers, Roku soundbridge plus an old preamp and old NAD CD Player. I need a new preamp and think I now understand the importance of DAC. So from the sounds of it Benchmark DAC1 may work well for both. I am storing both my old CDs on Itunes using the Apple lossless download plus downloading new music onto a seperate hard drive on my laptop. I could then connect the library to the Benchmark either directly via USB or wirelessly through the Roku which would hard connect to the Benchmark through the optical input. And, then onto the amp

Does this make sence? I am sure I have a number of weak links with this approach. Maybe?
-using the built-in cd drive on my computer to upload to itunes then on to the hard drive?
-Is lossless an okay format?
-on any of the download music which is in an ACC Protected format and only at 128 bits?

Then I have heard about the Wadia Itranport which supposedly takes the digital signal out of the ipod before going on to a seperate DAC. But the limitation here is even on 160 GB Ipod you are very limited on the number of lossless file songs you can save.

Dazed and confused
Aphilewanna,

Sounds like a viable plan.

I'm actually using the Microsoft lossless format for many rips and it sounds essentially flawless to my ears. I'm sure without even hearing it that Apple lossless is at least as good or better based on the track records of Apple and MSFT.

I'd be particularly curious regarding any observations you could report comparing the wireless to USB approach and the resulting sound when you get to that point.

My gut feel is that USB may have more variability from device to device due to the more variable nature of the software interface (the USB driver used), but have never had an opportunity to explore the USB apporach. Wireless is just more convenient and I have just not heard anything yet with it to complain about soundwise.