Holiday Habits and Pleasures

Howdy All,

We put up the tree, and are currently relaxing with some holiday tunes and spirits. Just wondering how the approach and arrival of the holidays affects everyone’s listening. Of course, there will be an increase in holiday related recordings, but do listening sessions increase in frequency?  Are more folks involved?  Do themed events pop up like Christmas Cocktails and Canapés with Nat King Cole?  I’m currently stoking my own holiday spirit with Wynton Marsalis’s “Crescent City Christmas Card” which I discovered in some older Audiogon posts regarding favorite Christmas recordings. It’s making me think I should throw a Big Easy holiday bash one of these days, and start a new tradition. 
Eager to hear and steal some ideas, and new ways to appreciate appreciating. 

Happy Holidays to all,

Dave

david_principato

@roxy54 , not a scrooge, we still spend big on the kids, son in law and son's girlfriend.  Times have changed though.  We do a big Christmas breakfast but the last few years, it's just my wife and me.  Last year we went to our daughters for Christmas Eve.  My Son and girlfriend were there too.  On Christmas, we were alone all day and I get it, they are grown up and times change.  But, Christmas music, yuck.  I never liked it as a kid and like it less now.

I have to check out the Leon Redbone album as I didn't know it existed. And thanks to the Jewish songwriters for the great xmas songs, ditto the holiday movies. I can tolerate solo acoustic guitar holiday stuff but not much else...Vince Guaraldi is always great.

Spouse 'n self have always been  pretty 'off-target' when it came to 'apropos' gifting, so it's wound down to being pretty blatant about What would amuse....

Look over her shoulder as she scans the catalogs of clothing...."Y'know, That would look good on you....more your 'thing'... "....and generally does, and gets an agreement and a positive vote upon arrival and the in-house fashion show....*G*

As for self...better to drop a dwarf star alloy 'hint' (i.e., something printed...), and it generally works....🤷‍♂️ 

This year: a major mixer that can do all the things she's commented on being able or wanting to try during the DarkFry 'event', but...

....a 'mystery object' that arrived in an odd box from 'far way' that will have to stand by until 25 in the a.m. ,,,,Just Because....;)

If I'm gifted with anything else but the satin turtleneck 'undershirts' (calling them a 't-shirt' is....incorrect, and I got to pick colors....)....

In some ways, I suspect she's happy to have me still present to be able to be 'un-amused' by.....

Beats the alternative, for both of us.... ;)