ISO - grit, texture, decay, life from snares and bass drums

Hi all,

Interested to hear some theories on what I'm looking for in a speaker (or new amp).  My system features the Rega Aethos driving a pair of Wharfedale EVO 4.4 (bi-wired).  

Don't get me wrong - it sounds great. Clear, precise, involving.  Great tone, imaging, and separation.

But I'm missing a little bit of grit and texture.  Sometimes I wish these speakers partied better.  Snares don't *snap* crackle pop.

Off axis listening - especially standing in the room, rather than sitting - changes tonality significantly.

What am I looking for?  More bass? More musicality? More Life?  I don't want bright or fatigue.

Some speakers I'm considering in no particular order based on descriptions/reviews:

- Sourcepoint 8

- Revival Audio Atalante 3

- PMC prodigy5

Thanks!

leemaze

@audionoobie appreciate this guidance. I have a Loki on my kitchen system and have been thinking to try it out on the mains. Thanks for the encouragement. 

@soix morrow ICs, Belden 10AWG speaker wire. Primary Source is CDs and streaming through Marantz SA-KI Ruby 

If you think your system sounds great, you might try some better speaker cables. Whether they can give you what you want is a crapshoot. I have heard everything from no difference to system-changing, so I would recommend borrowing something from a local dealer or the cable company. I am a big fan or Audience AU24, but I also think that Purist is excellent, although much heavier. I’ve had Beldens and they worked great with some speakers and not with others. Definitely worth trying if you’re looking to bring out the best in what you have.

Horns and high sensitivity may be a direction to pursue. Sourcepoint 10 have some snap. I think your current speakers use an AMT which can often roll off smoothly up top, and take away some bite. 

I'm a drummer and love Triangle speakers for the way they present drums, however that may be more related to toms and cymbals rather than snare. A speaker with very open, forward, and clear midrange is where you get that fast attack of a snare. Might want to look at studio monitor/HiFi brands like ATC, PMC, or even Revel Be for that type of presentation. 

Sometimes I wish these speakers partied better.  Snares don't *snap* crackle pop.

Sounds like you’re missing some dynamics and resolution.  I’d recommend taking a look at ATC speakers as they excel in those areas.  Best of luck. 

I am also a drummer. I’ve been playing for the last 40 years or so. I’m getting fantastic drum sounds with both my Magnepan .7’s and ATC SCM19 v2’s. Running both with a Belles Aria Sig pre and monos. Just amazing mid range with both speakers.