Are cable “upgrades” just as likely to make your system sound worse?

Many of us with highly resolving systems have found that speakers cables and interconnect cables can improve the sound quality of our systems. But are they also just as likely to do the opposite?

A few months ago, I “upgraded” to a renowned speaker cable, and immediately noticed more detail and resolution. I was so pleased I also “upgraded” the interconnects. But with more time I realized that the trade-off for more detail was a thinner sound with diminished tonal richness. Thus began a maddening series of attempts to fix the problem – different speaker cables, different DAC, different streamer, and now even a 30 trial of a new amplifier to try to overcome the thinness and find a more natural tone. It finally occurred to me to replace the out-of-sight-out-of-mind interconnects (with my original interconnects), and immediately the problem was blessedly solved.

Have others experienced this frustration? What recommendations do you have to avoid such fiascos?

wester17

"I think it most often happens with budget systems."

Happy Halloween.

DeKay

carlsbad2

Very seldom do people report a failed upgrade.

People report disappointment here all the time. Many tout how they take advantage of 30-day return privileges, or are willing to churn used gear until they find the synergy they seek. The whole audiophile quest is built on bettering what we have now.

... if you’re looking for higher conductivity, avoid sterling silver which has a lower conductivity than copper ...

Sterling silver is an alloy and I’ve never seen it used for audio cables. Most silver audio cables are nearly pure silver, which has better electrical conductivity than copper. But even sterling silver (which usually contains copper in the alloy) would likely be a better conductor than pure copper alone:

Table of Resistivity and Conductivity at 20°C

Material ρ (Ω•m) at 20 °C
Resistivity
σ (S/m) at 20 °C
Conductivity
Silver 1.59×10−8 6.30×107
Copper 1.68×10−8 5.96×107
Annealed copper 1.72×10−8 5.80×107
Gold 2.44×10−8 4.10×107
Aluminum 2.82×10−8 3.5×107
Calcium 3.36×10−8 2.98×107
Tungsten 5.60×10−8 1.79×107

Worse is a judgment and in the ears of the beholder. 

Different may happen and the difference is based on the ‘system’. 

Cables are upgrades I experimented later in my journey and it had an impact I liked. And I started with speaker cables, the interconnects and finally power. Enjoy the journey.