Help settle a streaming argument!

This is a SQ argument and is as follows-  I argue if you connect your streamer to an outboard DAC the streamer does not matter it’s just serving the music to the outboard DAC to do the work.  Therefore, buy a basic streamer.  The other is that you need to buy a top quality streamer and DAC to get great SQ. 

I liken it to cd players or the more pretentious cd transport argument- if the intent is to connect to outboard DAC the cd player doesn’t matter the outboard DAC DOES!

features and functionality aside!  Thoughts…..

polkalover

Playing moderator here: Nobody has said what an expensive streamer does differently than a budget streamer.

Yes they have. Perhaps you just don't care for the explanations.

Silly question. Everything matters at the audiophile level. Why would anyone go cheap on any part of an audiophile system. The way the OP is thinking makes me cringe about the cables he may be using or recommending to his friend.

@baylinor  - your condescending answer will be dismissed!  arrogance does not equate to knowledge or intelligence! 

p05129,

It has been a while since I listened critically to streamers and the mode of transmission, but, I agree that Ethernet consistently outperformed asynchronous USB connection when I heard a comparison.

While it does not seem to make sense that a streamer can make a whole lot of difference beyond a certain point of basic competence, it does matter.  I have no idea why it is so, but, early on, I heard comparisons of the software managing streaming and NAS music files and some software truly sucked compared to others when it came to sound quality; how can that be?

@cetla416 

Quick question.  If you rip a CD to the Innous,  how easy is it to move files to and from? I have most of my music on a NAS, so how do you move CD rips to a NAS?

Thanks.