300b lovers

I have been an owner of Don Sachs gear since he began, and he modified all my HK Citation gear before he came out with his own creations.  I bought a Willsenton 300b integrated amp and was smitten with the sound of it, inexpensive as it is.  Don told me that he was designing a 300b amp with the legendary Lynn Olson and lo and behold, I got one of his early pair of pre-production mono-blocks recently, driving Spatial Audio M5 Triode Masters.  

Now with a week on the amp, I am eager to say that these 300b amps are simply sensational, creating a sound that brings the musicians right into my listening room with a palpable presence.  They create the most open vidid presentation to the music -- they are neither warm nor cool, just uncannily true to the source of the music.  They replace his excellent Kootai KT88 which I was dubious about being bettered by anything, but these amps are just outstanding.  Don is nearing production of a successor to his highly regard DS2 preamp, which also will have a  unique circuitry to mate with his 300b monos via XLR connections.  Don explained the sonic benefits of this design and it went over my head, but clearly these designs are well though out.. my ears confirm it. 

I have been an audiophile for nearly 50 years having had a boatload of electronics during that time, but I personally have never heard such a realistic presentation to my music as I am hearing with these 300b monos in my system.  300b tubes lend themselves to realistic music reproduction as my Willsenton 300b integrated amps informed me, but Don's 300b amps are in a entirely different realm.  Of course, 300b amps favor efficient speakers so carefully component matching is paramount.

Don is working out a business arrangement to have his electronics built by an American audio firm so they will soon be more widely available to the public.  Don will be attending the Seattle Audio Show in June in the Spatial Audio room where the speakers will be driven by his 300b monos and his preamp, with digital conversion with the outstanding Lampizator Pacific tube DAC.  I will be there to hear what I expect to be an outstanding sonic presentation.  

To allay any questions about the cost of Don's 300b mono, I do not have an answer. 

whitestix

@1markr  I have not heard the original WE300b, but I have heard many of the $400-500 per quad 300b tubes and then I heard the Gold Lion 300b, which was a definite step up.   Then I got the Linlai WE300b copy and it is a far better tube than the Gold Lion to my ear.  I am not looking for other 300b tubes now.... not when I can buy the Linlai WE300b copy for a rational price per quad.

.... and those treasure globes look SO COOL!!

@1markr They look neat, but the globe is highly resonant. If the tube develops microphonics the globe exacerbates the problem. The regular Linlai tube does not have this problem.

@donsachs based on your ears, and others I trust (e.g. Aric from Aric Audio) the Linlai’s will be a great choice for the $$. At 1/3rd of the cost of the real WEs, I don’t expect them to be WEs..… just looking for a reasonable 300b solution without breaking the bank!

@atmasphere I guess I have been lucky with my pair of treasure globes. They haven’t gone micrphonic on me yet after hundreds and hundreds of hours… they are now relegated to  “backup” duty.

Funny how just a few years ago I could not stand China tubes, and now, here we are! They’ve come a long way!

I have only had 3 or 4 pairs of the tennis ball psvane 6sn7 tubes come through here and I have yet to see a microphonic pair.  I still prefer the sound of the Linlai E-6SN7 though.   @1markr  I think you will love the Linlai WE300b.  They take maybe 50-100 hours to really come into their own, so be patient.  Just put them in and forget about it and listen.  In a week or two or three they will really open up.   I am sure the super expensive original WE300b, or some of the pricier other 300b types may be slightly better, but these are so good I really don't care.  There are far greater returns from changes to amplifier topology than switching 300b types after you hit a certain level of quality of 300b.   Also, I am listening to them in my push pull 300b amp that is the original subject of this thread.  I cannot say what they sound like in a SE amp or preamp or wherever else you may be trying them.  They are very good in my Lampi Pacific DAC as well, but I prefer my 46 tubes with adapters to any 300b there.  So application matters a lot.

I have had the Linlai tennis ball 6sn7 tubes in my DAC for 9 months running 24/7 unless I'm gone for an extended period of time, no microphonics so far. I'm sure the old nos tennis ball tubes could become microphonic because the support structure is far different.