Is there a ceiling limit on what you are willing to pay for an audio component?

A very informative fellow on youtube reviews high end audio gear. He pays an insane amount of money on ampifiers, speakers and digital sources. He tells you what he thinks about quality, price, customer service and performance on such brands as Magico, Boulder, Wilson Audio and many others.

So here is the question. What are YOU willing to pay for a pair of speakers? An amplifier? A DAC or turntable setup? I am interested in what you WOULD PAY, not what you have paid in the past.

For me, I cannot see myself paying over $5K on speakers and likely not more that $3K on any other component.... even if I had the kind of money Elon Musk has. Am I crazy in saying that?

128x1282psyop

I know someone who had two pairs of amps that cost $250,000 per pair.  One pair was a “backup” amp—just a reserve amp in case the primary amp went down.  The thing is that, given his wealth/income, this was like me buying a mocha with an extra shot from Starbucks.

So this is to see if your budget is somewhat in line with others?

I see the merit in knowing that. But the 8 people who respond will

be the Lamm owners. Except me. My terms:

I buy used. Except my Innuos Zen 3.

1-2 months old preferably with a transferable warranty. 

That should save 25-35%. 

I am patient. This results in some real bargains.

Even your well-to-do friends appreciate a great deal.

Anywhere in the USA. Get a Fed Ex Acct.

Today I would spend:

Up to $6k on and Int amp

Up to $4k on Speakers

Streamer/ripper/storage $3k

Furniture and stands-$1k

Cables $1k

CD player $2k

Power transformer $500

Wow, got up there quickly! $17.5

That is $5k more than I spent but prices

have gone up.

Brands I like: Pass, Luxman, Innuos ,Lumin, ANK, Uptone Audio,

Oppo, Fritz, Tannoy, Magnepan, Paradigm, Audioquest.

Unless you can buy once and be satisfied for life-Not many in this crowd-then

just as important as price is brand. But what people know.  I am try to avoid

China made but...

Companies with good service availability count. 

Join the SFAF club.$35/year.  Members sell to others good gear cheap.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!

The simplest answer is that I pay what I can afford and what makes sense given the rest of my system.

Since retirement I buy almost 100% used. There is always someone selling last year's model at a discount and any well-reviewed component is still a quality component a year or two later.

The limit is, can I hear a worthwhile change for the cash. Sure, I'll hear a different between $5K and $30K speakers, but is it worth 6 times the price? Maybe, maybe not - I have to hear a level of improvement to make it worth it. Also, I wouldn't match a $100K amp with $10K speakers. The system overall has to make sense. 

When I first started reading the OP, I thought the right answer is “whatever your budget allows”. But then I read this, and was confused:

For me, I cannot see myself paying over $5K on speakers and likely not more that $3K on any other component.... even if I had the kind of money Elon Musk has.

I thought for a bit, and it hit me: it makes sense. I would not pay even a few hundreds of dollars on a designer handbag, even if I had the Elon Musk money. Because handbags are not my thing. Maybe audio is not YOUR thing?