Storage boxes. Can I discard high end shipping boxes, and still sell in the future?

It’s become very unwieldy to keep all my equipment shipping boxes. It’s also quite expesive to store them - a few hundred a month. Any suggestions?

cakids

Been buying and selling equipment for years. Absolutely keep the original boxes and any associated packing and paperwork. When I buy I'm looking for this as part of any equipment purchase and would expect a significant discount if the original packing is not available.

keep the foam. With the flattened boxes, you’d still save half the space. The biggest reason to keep the boxes is to be able to safely ship them then or take the pieces with you when you move. But of course, I would not keep the boxes for cheaper items under $500

Any time I ship something and I don't have the box, I double-box it and spend 30 min on making it sure it's safe and I wish I had the original box

It depends on the quality of the gear you have. Do you have a dedicated listening room? Do you own or rent? Do you have a garage? Do you live in a large metro area where cash and carry re-sale is possible?

The original boxes are nice to have but not a deal breaker when I buy used gear. If you don’t have the room to store the original boxes what other options do you have? Paying for storage is ridiculous!

If you try and ship the gear in anything but the original packaging and something is damaged, it is really hard to sustain a claim from the shipping company.  Even with original packing these companies deny claims.  It is getting worse with time.

I’ve heard of companies wanting $200 for replacement boxes and packaging, so it is worth trying to find a place to keep that stuff.