Can a better power cable make a difference if NOT plugged directly into an outlet?

I am curious about improving my sound with power cable upgrades.

At present, I'm using a setup which Almarg (RIP) used and which he recommended to me:

Wall outlet (hospital plug)
Audience Adept Response-ar2p power conditioner
Wiremold strip w/ Shunyata defender

I use Pangea AC 9 SE and AC14 SE cords, at present.

This setup has been quiet and hum free. 

Still I'm curious about whether better power cables might make some improvements, here or there.

The question is, whether any improvements a power cable could bring would be blunted or nullified by the setup I'm presently using.

Any thoughts?

Those who say power cables never matter, please go watch a cute cat video instead of posting here, please.

128x128hilde45

@erik_squires Thanks -- that makes a lot of sense. Saving money by attacking the problem with the greatest impact (if it works) breaks the stranglehold of marketing pseudo-scientific doublespeak.

@gladmo

+1 great post. I agree.

Also, I think you can find much better cords than you are using. I only tried one of the Pangea but it was not very effective, so I never tried more.

Certainly one can try experimenting with material for isolation. But reputable companies have done this for you with every aspect of the cord. The current Storm line do AudioQuest is an example of this. The fittings are so tight I have to hold my mono blocks when plugging in. The improvement in sound from my amps was simply stunning.

I also recommend changing one cord at a time. Experiment with the amp cords first. While every component gets an improvement, the amp is likely the biggest difference and most obvious in the change you can expect for a power cord.

Even if you think you would never spend as much as an Audio Quest Hurricane, I recommend you try one. It will set the bar for what a high quality power cord can do. Definitely plug the amps directly into the direct lines.

OP:

Here is what I use.  Just remember to connect the thin shield wire and the ground at the wall end, but only the green wire at the equipment side.  This lets noise drain to the wall and not your gear.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/DHLABS-75520.html

Don't forget to upgrade the cable from your box to the transformer on the pole too.