Can a better power cable make a difference if NOT plugged directly into an outlet?

I am curious about improving my sound with power cable upgrades.

At present, I'm using a setup which Almarg (RIP) used and which he recommended to me:

Wall outlet (hospital plug)
Audience Adept Response-ar2p power conditioner
Wiremold strip w/ Shunyata defender

I use Pangea AC 9 SE and AC14 SE cords, at present.

This setup has been quiet and hum free. 

Still I'm curious about whether better power cables might make some improvements, here or there.

The question is, whether any improvements a power cable could bring would be blunted or nullified by the setup I'm presently using.

Any thoughts?

Those who say power cables never matter, please go watch a cute cat video instead of posting here, please.

128x128hilde45
They certainly do work in conjunction with a power strip from my experience. I don't use a power conditioner, so I can't comment on that.

In my experience, power cables always affect the sound, no matter where in your system they are. The more length, the more they seem to impart their sonic characteristics. After tons of testing, one could probably approximate a connectors/plugs to cable length ratio for how much each affects the sound. The plugs/connectors on very short power cables affect the sound qualities more than those on longer cables, so it seems they have more of an absolute or constant effect which is relative to the effect resulting from the cable length.

If you want to do your own testing, get some adapters and daisy chain different cables together to get really deep into this. The cable used to feed a power distributor/conditioner demonstrates the same effect as a direct daisy chain. And I’m not totally sure about this, but cables that plug directly into upstream components may have greater sonic effects.

I know my cables and components really well now and how they interact, it just required lots of different combinations, time, and a keen ear to discern the different qualities that they impart on the whole system’s sound. I would suggest moving forward as if every single cable contributes it’s own sound qualities to the whole. Any cable in the chain that lacks clarity or adds graininess will compromise the end result.

If you do get new power cords, try them with and without the conditioner. 

Thanks for the comments so far.

@noromance Your proposal is sound, as long as there is a reason to try a cord without a conditioner. Right now, the Audience unit is also protecting the gear, and given that our power went on and off 5x the other night (weird storm), I'm loathe to plug anything into the wall that's not protected. That said, I will be moving into another room next year which has a whole house surge protector installed, on a dedicate line.

You all see the trouble, I assume -- if there is enough between the wall and the audio gear (conditioner, power strip, etc.) there may be no way for the subtleties of a powercord change to be heard. It would be like changing a subtle flavor in an already powerful stew.

This is why the "daisy chain" experiment mentioned above is not clearly worth the time for me.