Bang for the buck

Hi all, I'm looking to get some feedback on great value/sound used speakers for a 14x11.5' room in an apartment. Are there any suggestions from audiosciencereview or your own experience that mate great sound with excellent value on the used market? I recently found a pair of Salk speakers at a good price, but their frequency response is the only measurement graph I can find. Plus, I wonder if a large part of that speaker price is due to the cost of the cabinet and its elaborate finish. I'm looking to put my money towards the music more than the cabinet jewelry finishes. (I'm on a budget <$2k). Thanks for any recommendations 

128x128labguy

Salk's are awesome, and many of their models are available in a lower cost plain finish. Great price due to manufacturer direct sales. I use a pair of their monitors in room a little smaller than yours. Magnepan LRS+ and .7 also great options, as Magnepan bass supposedly travels less through apartment walls.  There are some threads here that technically explain that. I have also owned the Magnepan.

@labguy 

"Are there any suggestions from audio science review?"

Seriously? Asking that here is like walking into a vegetarian restaurant and asking if they make a good ribeye.

@tony1954 is that because ASR doesn't properly measure equipment or just because the vast amount of personal experience found here definitely outweighs any measurements found elsewhere? I don't want steak from  a salad bar, but I would like to learn why you say that. Thanks!