My Oppo 105 finally bricked. Streamer suggestions?

Hey all,

Well, my vaunted 105 now won’t connect to Tidal through the app no matter what troubleshooting I do, and since my listening is 40% vinyl, 50% streaming, and 10% cd, I’m losing out on a lot of music. I’d like to keep the Oppo as a the occasional transport but need something to stream Tidal.

I can still connect via HDMI to to the Oppo from my phone or laptop, but the sound is terrible. 

My digital system:

Ragnarok 2 integrated

Denafrips Ares 2 DAC/Schiit Gungnir (currently comparing them side-by-side)

Reference 3A de Capos

Oppo 105 (still can be used as a transport and blu-ray)

Suggestions for a streamer that would work well with the Denafrips? Budget under $1K.

Thank you,

simao

128x128simao

The usual suspects in this this price range are Bluesound, the various iFi products,

Project..  Don’t forget that the app is an important part of the experience, with Bluesound scoring big here.

For slightly over your budget there is the excellent Cambridge Audio CXN 60, which also adds superb AirPlay and Chromecast implementation, both of which sound great being streamed from the phone.  I get the impression that the OP is auditioning DACs, and he might also find the CA DAC meets his needs since the player has many digital inputs

Check over on TMRaudio , they got several streamers recommended here in your price range. ( Cambridge & Bluesound) Alternatively look for a Bryston BDP pi.  Spartan interface, out of production,  hard to find but built on the Raspberry Pi platform and sound excellent. 

I would look at the Cambridge Audio cxn v2. I purchase it from AudioAdvisor yesterday for $999.

I would get a streamer with room correction like the Martin Logan Unison with ARC room correction (on sale now at 50%off) or the NAD C-658 with Dirac.

@theo Thanks for the sound advice. Yes, Ive hecked netowrk and also installed and tried to use the app on several other device, all with the same "Login - Client not found" message. I've emailed Oppo support but don't know how much they can do as they no longer deal with their hardware. But I'm intrigued by the capacitance reboot. Which buttons specifically? I've googled but nothing comes up. Could there by a circuit/capacitor failure inside the unit? 

@mahler123 My DAC audition is down to the Schiit and the Denafrips. They both are a significant and unmistakable improvement over the Oppo's Sabre chips.