My Oppo 105 finally bricked. Streamer suggestions?

Hey all,

Well, my vaunted 105 now won’t connect to Tidal through the app no matter what troubleshooting I do, and since my listening is 40% vinyl, 50% streaming, and 10% cd, I’m losing out on a lot of music. I’d like to keep the Oppo as a the occasional transport but need something to stream Tidal.

I can still connect via HDMI to to the Oppo from my phone or laptop, but the sound is terrible. 

My digital system:

Ragnarok 2 integrated

Denafrips Ares 2 DAC/Schiit Gungnir (currently comparing them side-by-side)

Reference 3A de Capos

Oppo 105 (still can be used as a transport and blu-ray)

Suggestions for a streamer that would work well with the Denafrips? Budget under $1K.

Thank you,

simao

128x128simao

Showing 4 responses by mahler123

The usual suspects in this this price range are Bluesound, the various iFi products,

Project..  Don’t forget that the app is an important part of the experience, with Bluesound scoring big here.

For slightly over your budget there is the excellent Cambridge Audio CXN 60, which also adds superb AirPlay and Chromecast implementation, both of which sound great being streamed from the phone.  I get the impression that the OP is auditioning DACs, and he might also find the CA DAC meets his needs since the player has many digital inputs

All I am saying is the CA CXN 60 besides being a great streamer also has a good DAC.  You may decide it’s the only DAC you need after an audition and not need to spend $ on the Schiit and whatever else you are looking at

Thats pretty cool, that you at least got a response from OPPO on a long discontinued product.  You can't take that for granted these days.

It is also cool that the Oppo can be controlled by mConnect.  I actually use mConnect to control my Melco N100, but since I added the CXN to the Network I tend to use the Melco mainly as a NAS.  My Oppo 105 and 203 both read and play the files from the NAS, but I didn't realize the mConnect could control those players, so I wll have to fiddle around with it when I get a chance (right now I seem to have had both of my systems affected by a Power surge or something over the weekend so fixing that is the bigger priority).

I prefer the terms "server' and "player".  A server has the files, or is able to send signals from an external HD or and Internet connection, to others player(s) in the system.  I don't think mConnect affects sound; it merely provides a graphical interface 

I've had an Oppo 105 ever since it came out.  It has gotten heavy use m mostly as a transport in the past several years.  It occasionally hangs up and does something weird.  Unplugging it and restarting it 30 seconds later has always cured every hiccup.  I also have a 203, which I bought as insurance if the 105 ever plonks out.  I put it in a secondary system and remind my self to use it once a week to keep it spry, but the 105 is going strong