Choosing new cables

I am looking to upgrade my current cables.  This should be my last system as I retired a few years ago and most of my components have been seriously updated in the last couple of years.  I have been in this audio hobby for about 50 years and have always have great sounding musical systems.

My current cables all work and sound great but are 15 - 20 years old.  So updating is what I need.  I am budgeting around $10k - $15k for all new cables.

I have always felt the i/c's were the most important cable followed by the speaker cables and the power cords.  However I am now leaning towards spending more on the power cords followed by the speaker cables and last the i/c.

I know all cables are very important but how would you prioritize the cables?  Any suggestions on any brands would also be appreciated!

bobheinatz

Lak,

Thanks for your reply.  I do have dedicated lines and very good AC outlets. Yes I know Jade is very good cable and I also realize that  I could be spending alot of $'s  with the possibility of no improvement.   Collin has been on my radar for cables after reading a thread here on one of his cable lines.  I will be very cautious on my next move. 

One more company to research is ZenWave. Dave will discuss your needs and recommend a few to try.He'll loan them to you to compare with others and all you're out is shipping them back.The power cables are especially wonderful.

@bobheinatz

you are getting some good responses, now that folks see what you have in place currently in terms of gear and cabling - excellent system btw! 👍

that the responses are all over the map is to be expected, but i think i am seeing a developing convergence of opinion among the more experienced folks here

i have actually never heard jade cables in my own system despite my extensive travels in the hobby but i do remember they were held in high regard as a small maker

i would say try some well reputed power cables first (amp first, then sources) given that yours are presently low-tier ones as you state (you might still name them for us to know), whereas your signal cables are jade, and you know they are good and you like them

after figuring out the upside from ac cables, then i suggest trying other interconnects from your most used source, trying different well-reputed brands via demos or loans, then go from there - i concur with user support given here so far to purist and cardas, not cheap, but excellent and lean towards musicality as opposed to unearthing more detail

i would not say modern cables are much of a leap over what was top tier stuff from back in the day... more different than better in my view (and just stupid expensive)... my favorite ic’s are still straightwire maestro, purist dominus/colossus, and cardas golden helix and 5c ....and vampire silvers when called... have tried much new stuff... but always go back to my faves above

have fun happy auditioning...

Might as well throw in Hemingway as a viable contender for that budget. Z core Alpha cables would come in around or a bit more than your budget. Lot of interesting cables through Gestalt though…