Fee for home audition

I am in the market for a music server/streamer. I was discussing with one of the authorized dealers for a streamer. He had a demo unit and was willing to bring to my home for an hour and let me try. He is located around 10-15 minutes from my home. He wants to charge 5% for home demo. Is this the industry standard? I am not meaning to disparage anyone so not going to name the dealer. I am just trying to see what the standard practice is. 

svenjosh

It seems like I have to look at other dealers for a home demo. I would have tried in store demo but the Grimm mu1 is very much tuned to digital coaxial output. The dealer only carries DACs with USB.

After all the responses in this thread, I am going to reach out to other dealers. Hopefully I will get a home audition. Thank you for all advise.

Screw him.

A quick google check and I see several dealers that give a no questions asked 30 day return policy on that unit.  You pay return shipping.  

Move on.

I understand the risk for both sellers and buyers, but anybody who charges ridiculous restocking fees should be avoided. 5% or 10% might not seem like much for small ticket items, but if you’re buying a $10K item, that is a lot of money for pleasure of opening a box. For those asking 20%, I have some choice expletives reserved for them.

The kicker is that many retailers will turn around and sell your return as a new product (depending on the condition) versus selling it a discount as an open box item.

That said, relationships are important. Build a good faith long term relationship with a dealer and the both buyer and seller will be rewarded. You will usually have a person and phone number to call. It's usually not an internet based relationship.

By all means, let your dealer know he lost the sale due to his stupid and greedy policy.  He needs to know he’s losing business over it, and maybe he’ll consider changing his ways when he knows it’s costing him $$$. 

Restocking fee?   What the hell is that?  Dealer started with the stock and he keeps it.  So why a fee?  Dealers I have dealt with always allow me to try equipment at home for a week or so at no charge.  Except cartridges. I pick it up and I deliver it back. If your dealer won't do that dump him.

Fast.