Fee for home audition

I am in the market for a music server/streamer. I was discussing with one of the authorized dealers for a streamer. He had a demo unit and was willing to bring to my home for an hour and let me try. He is located around 10-15 minutes from my home. He wants to charge 5% for home demo. Is this the industry standard? I am not meaning to disparage anyone so not going to name the dealer. I am just trying to see what the standard practice is. 

svenjosh

my closest "friendly dealer lets it out Saturday afternoon and expects it back Monday morning. No charge, just a copy of the driver’s license. I couldn’t imagine it in many countries. You would be charged to listen to it in the store.

I do live in the East Coast. My long term dealer does not carry a lot of digital stuff. So I had to reach to this dealer for the specific streamer I was interested in. I offered to pick and drop off in an hour but he insisted on bringing it and taking back. I offered a hold on my credit card for full price if I can pick up but he refused. 

Can you even imagine a guy selling a TV bringing it out to your home for a quick look? 

I agree that would not be possible but I can buy the TV and return in a decent time for a full refund if I am not satisfied. It is even better. 

My first question is, what 5% equates to in $$$$? For me 5% fee is a non-starter. Now if you are dealing with out of state dealer for home demo, they are likely to ask for deposit and expect you to pay shipping both ways. What brand of streamer you’re looking into? I may know someone that I can possibly recommend for in-home demo. 

I assume the dealer is the owner of the store and or can make up whatever rules he wants to. I do not think that is a common practice.