Meridian 508.24...sound compared to newer players

I've owned the 508.24 for about ten years now...having upgraded from a 508.20 to .24. I know for many years this CD player was highly regarded and my long term relationship with it is a testimony to how well I think it sounds. However, I know many advancements have been made over time but I have not really kept up with or listened to many newer high end players. While not on it's last legs, I realize that a 10 year old CD player will not be lasting forever (I already replaced the laser). So I may be looking soon at a replacement. To those of you who have owned the 508.24 or are aquainted with it's sound, I would like to know your impressions of it compared to the newer high end players in the $2000-$3500 price range. One player I am specifically interested in is the Bryston BCD-1. Anyone compared these two? Any recommendations or comments would be welcomed.

Thanks
randyhat
I've owned my 508.24 since late 1997 and, except for replacing the laser once in 2001 it has worked perfectly since. Recently A/B'd against my friend's Parasound D3 it was not as bright in the highs D3 but did extend into the bass a bit further. This is still a fine CD player and I am firmly keeping mine until it works no longer. My other aging CD player is a conrad johnson DV2B that is simply a fantastic player with a wide soundstage and it provides a natural sound to the timbre of instruments. Piano is among the best I've heard with this player. Also a keeper.

I would hold onto to that 508.24; it is a valuable classic.
I have a 508.24 which sounds very nice with my ARC/Audio Physic system. I recently compared it to the newly released Cary CD 306 Pro and to a Meridian G08. The Cary was clearly superior, mainly more detail, but at a significant price difference. Not so the G08 - the 508.24 had better transparency and was more dynamic whilst the G08 was smoother and maybe a touch more open. I would happily change the 508.24 for the Cary, but the difference between the two Meridians was slight, so I wouldn't bother trading up to a G08.
I currently own a "Meridian 500 Transport", I recently replaced its clock to the "Dexa Super clock", I found the bass is much willing to dive; resolutions are much detailed. Well...Try to find a qualify electronic to replace the clock for your 508.24. And.... I bet you would love it.
508.24 has always been one of my favourites CDPs. I havn't heard one in a while, and when recently I put one in my system, against ARC CD-7 (~$4000 used) I was hugely dissapointed by its performance. I always remembered it as a 'giant-killer', but ARC soundes SOOOO much better across the board.

As good as 508.24 was 10-years ago - the technology did not stay still.