What's up with lousy bass on classic rock recordings?

Few examples: ACDC Back In Black, Van Halen 1, Boston (1), WHO's Next, Def Leopard Pyromania. 

The low end is almost non-existent. Digital and vinyl. 

It's not my system, I listen to a lot of jazz, other classics like Janis Ian Breaking Silence - bass is rich, full, has slam when appropriate.

Compression? Or were the low frequencies never there? Pretty disappointing. 

macg19

I also find some older recordings to be light on the bass output. Especially true on some older LP's. I find that simply raising the frequency of the low pass filter and turning up the gain on my sub captures what's missing. 

@macg19 looks like you got the bases pretty well covered.    It does look like a larger room.  Have you ever measured using white noise?   That gives a good idea of frequency response and room acoustics. If white noise is not flat down to 20 hz with the subs in play,  then try adjusting the subs accordingly.  

Then you will be in a very good place to assess bass recording to recording.   Of course each will be different and range from lots of bass to virtually none.  Recordings are what they are.   If you have digital files you could always try remastering things yourself using readily available software like Audacity for example.   I use Audacity to master digital I create from my vinyl record collection. I’m sure there are even better ways.   Just a thought.   Where there’s a will there is often a way. 

@macg19 Tell me a specific classic rock track and I will give it a play and let you know what I hear and also stick the meter on it. 

@dmac67 Also I think it’s worth noting that when producing classic or any pop/rock recording, lots of bass is not always a priority. Producers and engineers and the artists they produce for are looking to emphasize different aspects of their music all the time. There is no audiophile in the room saying that they must maintain the bass levels no matter what. Recordings are what they are ie what the makers want them to be. It’s not a democratic process where the audiophile party rules.

The OP may want to get acquainted with discogs to learn what to look for in a period press. 

It's all in the matrix.

Arguably, a first press IS the definitive version of any album.

Van Halen's debut isn't a rare, obscure album to find. The rub is finding one that's unmolested. 

Van Halen – Van Halen (1978, Winchester Press, Vinyl) - Discogs

Boston – Boston (1976, Vinyl) - Discogs

The Who – Who's Next (1971, Vinyl) - Discogs

Find one for cheap in the bins,or pay for someone going thru a dozen used copies to find "the one"  @better-records.com