What's up with lousy bass on classic rock recordings?

Few examples: ACDC Back In Black, Van Halen 1, Boston (1), WHO's Next, Def Leopard Pyromania. 

The low end is almost non-existent. Digital and vinyl. 

It's not my system, I listen to a lot of jazz, other classics like Janis Ian Breaking Silence - bass is rich, full, has slam when appropriate.

Compression? Or were the low frequencies never there? Pretty disappointing. 

macg19

macg19

I agree that something is amiss in your set up. Watch out if using a Server/Streamer (greater compression). vs. a CD/SACD player. I own all of those discs (CD), AC/DC, Boston, Def Leppard, VH 1, and The Who's Next, there is plenty of Bass / low end. Check all Cable/Cord connections.

Happy Listening!

Thanks jayfant but it’s not my system. As I mentioned several of the examples are vinyl. 

Here is another example: I’ve got a lot of Tom Petty on vinyl but often stream for convenience and the bass is great on either medium.

I do not have a CD/Sacd player.

I plan on testing the suggested tracks and playing with the sub crossover levels though - could need a slightly higher setting for tracks with more prominent mid-bass 

I listen to rock to and I do agree with how the recording sound but keep in mind the nature of rock music does emphasize much in midrange frequency where our hearing our more sensitive.  Keep that in mind. 

Did some quick testing using Running with the Devil:

• Qobuz only (dont have vinyl)
  • Remastered HR version and "Digital 45" CD

D45 was a bit better, both with and without 80Hz sub-pass on, adding gain and volume to subs (separately). Still just OK

and Baba O’Reilly.

• Qobuz HR and vinyl (2015 reissue)

Vinyl was a bit better bass-wise, filter/gain adjustments as above, still just OK.

Live at Leads (Qobuz) - similar.

My conclusions...

• maybe the lower sub-bass frequencies that really fill/pressurize the room simply are not there
  • could be the vinyl (I may try and find a couple of original pressings)
  • could be the streaming files (not much I can do about that - other than get a better streamer which is on the roadmap)
  • could be the speaker/sub combo - I’ve often toyed with the idea of getting a second set of full-range "rock" speakers - for example I’ve heard some vintage Tannoy’s with the 12" dual-concentric that sounded pretty amazing - or maybe some JBLs.

EDIT: other examples why I don't think it's my system - MOFI recordings of Truth, Dire Straits (debut) and DSOTM - all awesome.