Ripping CD's to hard drive

What is the highest quality way to rip a collection of CD's to a hard drive?  Does it require a high-end transport and DAC of some sort?  How have others gone about this when loading their Lumin, Aurender, etc components? 

cjlundberg

+1 for EAC.  Used it for my entire collection of over 500 CD's.  It's sometimes a bit wonky on tagging (to identify album and track info) so I 'scrubbed' with MediaMonkey, but any other decent tagging program will do.

I would recommend ripping only to FLAC, hard drive space is pretty cheap today.... Exact Audio Copy is good, but I found it a bit clunky to use. I have had very good results with Fairstars CD Ripper too. Fairstars is very good at tagging except for more obscure titles.  Oh yes, MP3 Tag is great for cleaning up your library

Agree - FLAC is the way to go - I use twinned 3 Tb NAS drives. The images take up a fair bit of space on top of the music. I am also a dBPoweramp user.

I gave up on ripping to a hard drive back at the beginning of the century. It was not a good enough sound quality for me. My ears told me the sound was not the same as on the original CD.