LOUDEST Concert and Tinnitus

This is a two part question.

1. What is the loudest concert (or event) that you have attended?

2. How long have you had tinnitus, is it getting better or worse and how are you dealing with it?

Personally, the loudest concert was UB40 at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver. Loudest event was drag racing at SIR (Seattle International Raceway) which was like sticking your head in a jet engine.

Regarding tinnitus. Over the past year or so I have noticed a constant high pitched "sound" in my ears. Mostly the left ear. At this point I don't actually know if it is constant or whether I just forget about it sometimes. I know use a white noise box when I go to sleep. Otherwise I tend to fixate on the ringing.

128x128tony1954

Loudest major concert. Def Leopard

Loudest musical event: Sitting a short distance away from the bass amp at a blues club in Chicago.  I was desperately trying to poke anything in my ears I could find.  Didn't have a cell phone back then, but if I had one, I would have tried to shove it in one ear.  A couple of hours afterwards, my nose was bleeding.

Overall, my ears didn't stand a chance.

Drag racing.  Standing near the starting line was the best place to take in the action.  And, the loudest.

Competition car audio.  I used to joke that my car made so much bass, I had stretch marks on my trunk lid.  In the early days of car audio competition, it actually was about ingenuity and sound quality.  The officials mercifully topped SPL at a mere 140 db. Anything above that didn't earn any extra points.  Years later, our demo van hit 150db+.  We amused spectators by placing a Big Gulp on the roof, cranking up the system and watching it bounce around until it finally feel to the ground. I wanted to put a big graphic on the side that read: "Van Whalen", but never got around to it. We never won a major SPL competition.  There was always somebody around who played louder. At 153db we were considered lightweights.

Its no surprise that my hearing loss and tinnitus set in early for me.  I initially thought I'd blown a tweeter in my speakers, but an RTA verified that it was my hearing.  Tinnitus sucks.  Have tried several remedies, and can't recommend anything thus far.

Easy for me.

First was the Outlaws in 1979. Green Grass and High Tides for about 28 minutes and ear piercing volumes. Ears rang for two solid days.

Second was Ian Hunter with Mick Ronson on guitar.  I was on the rail and it was another ear piercing experience. Deafening.

Third, being under the stack in 1989 at Autzen Stadium for the Dead and during drums Mickey’s bar thing was reverberating crazily.  Could feel it in my chest. That was tough.

Honorable mention, any electric Jack White show.  Frankly, Just doesn’t need to be that loud.

I have had tinnitus ever since the 1980’s and now wearing aides.  Paying the price. 

After years of Tinnitus and mountains of research, I found some relief...not a cure...QUIETUM PLUS. I hope it can help someone.

AC/DC 1980 Back in black tour 5 Seasons center

Cedar Rapids Iowa DB peaks was over 140 db 

The cops literally came and shut the show down there 

was so many complaints from the people who lived around 

there.  
was in the 15th row center stage took 2 weeks for my ears 

to stop ringing 

back in the days when i was frequent at knittingfactory NYC, Larval put out BIG dB in relatively small venue! Bill Laswell was there and this dude loves his bass LOUD!