Low level listening

I am interested in everybody's thoughts on speakers on low level listening. Currently I have Tekton Lore's. They are the upgraded model and I like them, but they open to most of the time at a higher volume then I'm comfortable with. Smart me had to much fun listening to live music. " tinnitus".  I have ordered Magnapan LRS+ which I auditioned at my home which seemed more articulate at lower volumes. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Speakers or cures ? Just kidding about cures. 

128x128bobdavid

Curious why you are asking for recommendations if you have already ordered new speakers?

assuming they are returnable, what SPL levels are you aiming for?

I ask because I also have hearing damage from exposure (too much clubbing in the 90’s) and I use the “dB meter” app routinely. 

A max of 85dB should not cause any further damage and I find 70-85 very enjoyable with my Harbeths. 85dB “sounds loud”. The design criteria for them included sounding satisfying at the 70dB range.

the rest of the system helps of course, which includes 2 subs. All listed in my virtual system.

Low levels will never sound right as explained by someone earlier our ear frequency response varies with level and bass and treble are softer than middle frequencies until about 100dB, certainly loud. I suspect this affect is magnified by speakers that compress dynamic level changes more than other speakers whether by the speaker design itself or perhaps how well the speaker follows the voltage changes dictated by the amplifier. It's well known speakers vary in their reaction to inputs due to how reactive a load they are for amps.

What amp or integrated are you using - I think this makes a big difference to clarity/information at lower volumes.

additionally would recommend the Schitt Loki EQ to make your own boosted curve for lower level listening - works amazingly well.

Also a subwoofer will make your speakers easier to drive and fill in the bottom - the effect is more impact at lower volumes. 

Fwiw, your amp is equally important as speakers for low level listening. LLL is all I do!