i2S clock question

So, I’ve recently added a Denafrips Iris DDC to be able to feed my Musician Pegasus R2R DAC via its i2S input via its HDMI i2S input, and compared to feeding it directly from an SPDIF or USB input the positive results are significant and very apparent.  While I’m aware of the separate internal paths of the i2S connection versus other connections and despite many searches, I can’t find a definitive answer as to how the clocking works in the end.  I know the Iris re-clocks the data and sends it via a separate line within the HDMI connection to my DAC, but I can’t find a clear answer as to how the re-clocking of the DDC works in conjunction with my DAC. Does the re-clocking of the DDC override the re-clocking of my DAC with an i2S connection, or does it just feed my DAC a cleaner signal that allows my DAC to work better and more efficiently given its own re-clocking abilities?  Am I subject to the re-clocking of my DDC alone or is it a combo of my DAC and the DDC working together with an i2S connection?  Thanks for any thoughts and experience!

soix

"So, I’ve recently added a Denafrips"

This is a genuine, sincere, and honest question I pose because English is not my first or even second language and I struggle with it challenged by not having much exposure to native speakers of English, which is a very difficult language I can say because I speak a few at least in part.

I have over the last few years encountered increasingly the beginning of sentences in English with the word "So." Is that important and please explain what "so" means in this context.

Thank you for helping me with my English.

@soix  and all,

I’m so glad a clock question came up, because I’ve been a bit confused.  So, I have a Denifrips Pontus ll. If I add an Iris reclocker, I’m assuming it will sound better, but let’s say I buy a Venus ll DAC or a Terminator ll,  will the Iris improve the sound as well? Or will the better DAC have a better clock and so need a better reclocker to make a difference?

@curiousjim Yes, but it’s not just the reclocking but also the ability to take advantage of your DAC’s superior i2S input with an HDMI cable, so it’s really like two benefits in one.  On my Musician Pegasus DAC, which has a strong resemblance to the Pontus ll as they come from the same factory, the improvement with the Iris was not small. 

@soix

I’m thinking the next time a used one comes up, I’m gonna snatch it up. Might even buck up for one of those Audioquest HDMI cables. They have a couple that are less than $100. I know that RCA to USB made a big difference and l’m definitely interested to hear what i2s does.

Oh, what power cord are you using with the Iris?

@curiousjim 

I would advise you take a quick scan of the posts at audiophile style regarding clocking the Iris and Terminator. I faintly remember a thread running there that concluded the Terminator’s clock was at a higher level and basically saw no improvement when paired with the Iris. Not for sure- but it costs nothing to check.