Discuss The Viv Lab Rigid Arm

I am trying to do my due diligence about this arm. I am just having a hard time getting my head around this idea of zero overhang and no offset. Does this arm really work the way it is reported to do?

neonknight

@rauliruegas 

Null points calculation it not depends of any other parameter, not even tonearm EL.

Whaaaa???  

you need to specify at least four parameters which typically are alignment type, inner groove diameter, outer groove And Pivot to spindle (P2S).  The math then returns you  two null points, effective length (EL) and offset angle.  The overhang (OH) is then found by subtracting P2S from EL.  The knowns and unknowns can be reworked based on the information available.  Effective length can be substituted with a known overhang and the P2S returned.

dave

@rsf507 , I would guess that @retipper would think you would haven to be out of your mind to buy a Viv arm. He probably would not state that directly as he would not want to lose customers. Manufacturers tend to be politically correct for obvious reasons. Maybe he will chime in. 

@rsf507 Re: Roy Gregory's problems w VTF. I haven't had a problem with this as long as I return the armtube to it's resting postion, a magnet at the outside of the housing that meets a short rod on the underside of the armtube. By returning the armtube to this position during the weighing process, I can be assured that it's in the position that it will hold as it traverses the record.

@maxson thanks for your reply. Don't understand then are you measuring VTF off the platter if returning arm to resting position? Trying to picture this but on "conventional" arms I've always measured VTF on platter maybe 1-2 inches from outside. 

We see in this thread on full display that some are satisfied to rely on reference books, formulae, and theory that can be assessed, studied, and evaluated from the safe, protected, comfortable environment of an office or home, completely avoiding the risk, hazards, and unexpected consequences that may arise, result, or derive from actual experience in the real world. Acting in that way means one will never have to question their "beliefs" which of course are not their beliefs but that of others but it is easy to feel safe, expert, and knowledgeable in such conditions. You can see in this thread that when exposed to data, experience, and knowledge out side of their protected world that raw emotion, bad logic and insults result because they feel threatened or their ego bruised.