Discuss The Viv Lab Rigid Arm

I am trying to do my due diligence about this arm. I am just having a hard time getting my head around this idea of zero overhang and no offset. Does this arm really work the way it is reported to do?

neonknight

@rsf507 Re: Roy Gregory's problems w VTF. I haven't had a problem with this as long as I return the armtube to it's resting postion, a magnet at the outside of the housing that meets a short rod on the underside of the armtube. By returning the armtube to this position during the weighing process, I can be assured that it's in the position that it will hold as it traverses the record.

@maxson thanks for your reply. Don't understand then are you measuring VTF off the platter if returning arm to resting position? Trying to picture this but on "conventional" arms I've always measured VTF on platter maybe 1-2 inches from outside. 

We see in this thread on full display that some are satisfied to rely on reference books, formulae, and theory that can be assessed, studied, and evaluated from the safe, protected, comfortable environment of an office or home, completely avoiding the risk, hazards, and unexpected consequences that may arise, result, or derive from actual experience in the real world. Acting in that way means one will never have to question their "beliefs" which of course are not their beliefs but that of others but it is easy to feel safe, expert, and knowledgeable in such conditions. You can see in this thread that when exposed to data, experience, and knowledge out side of their protected world that raw emotion, bad logic and insults result because they feel threatened or their ego bruised.

I like and respect PL of SS, but I would not value his opinion of underhung tonearms any more than I value the opinion of any other smart vinylphile.  Then, regardless of what any such qualified individual would opine, I would still want to take a few months to listen in my own home system using a variety of suitable cartridges before forming my own opinion.

Post removed