Tube rolling newbie- how to choose NOS tubes

I’ve purchased a xDuoo TA-30 dac/amp for my first tube rolling experience. From online reviews, I plan to tube roll in a Matched Pair of Mullard 12AU7.

Looking online, there are new reissued Mullard 12AU7, matching NOS tubes at various price points, years, features (like long plates?), and used tubes like on eBay.. This is confusing, how do I choose? Should the tubes be tested? Who should I purchase from?

kennyc

As a tube newbie myself, I’m more than happy to pay up a bit for a reputable tube expert with a reasonable return policy to point me in the right direction and who will likely save me considerable time and $$$ from buying either the wrong or bad tubes.  I’d just make sure to have a price point in mind going in and communicate that upfront because this can get silly expensive, especially if you don’t know yet what your doing or what tubes are really worth.  Great advice here that I’ll definitely use myself. 

I would spend some time reading different forums as some have suggested. Just search for the type of tube you’re looking for in the application you’re using it. It’s amazing what you can learn from others especially their mistakes. I’m still a novice so I like learning from others. NOS tubes are not always what they’re cracked up go be. I’m not saying to avoid them but it’s a cost/benefit situation. Is that $150.00 NOS tube worth three times as much over good current production tubes? Does your system warrant the expenditure? You’re in the same realm as cables here. My best advice is read, read, read.

A known tube seller with a well supported supply to the UK took on a usually seen approach from a sales person when questioning the era of a NOS Tube from a later production era, vs a earlier production era.

I was pretty much told I was being mis-informed and with them being an authority, they should know that their Later NOS Production Tube is on Parity or even better that the earlier Production.

That story probably lasts until earlier production models are discovered and offered for sale at a much increased price, and a inquiry is made about such a Valve.

I don't think the parity word will be used in a description, unless it is used to compare to another Brands Tube from a similar era, and commanding s similar price.

I found the Tubes over a period of Time as a early 60's Production, and when Tube Rolling compared them to 70's Production, which the latter were quite inferior in the presentation and no where near as attractive when in use.

Treading Carefully and being very selective about where one take their influences will help steer toward a successful NOS experience.

My time now is spent looking into the reports of New Production that fairs very favourably to NOS Tubes. There are some very positive findings to date.

These latest versions of tubes being discovered, will for myself, most likely be the purchases made for the future Tube exchanges, as finding very good, close to Manufacturer Spec', Matched in Measurement Tubes, from a 40-50 year old era is almost like going on a search for finding Rocking Horse Poo. 

Thanks all, I’ll look up Brent Jesse.

I have to be careful as I have an additive personality and may get caught in the accumulating tubes rabbit hole.