Why do we stop listening to new music as we get older?

Hello all,

Sometimes I find myself wondering why there is so little newer music in my library. Now, before you start in with rants about "New music is terrible!", I found this rather interesting article on the topic. (SFW)

With the maturing of streaming as a music delivery platform, and the ease of being able to surf new artists and music, it might be time to break my old listening habits and find some newer artists.

Happy listening. 

128x128musicfan2349

I decided when I started listening to talking heads and Elvis Costello and turned away from my old faves, led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, yes etc, they I would always look for new music. And I have kept that promise to myself. Got tickets for Taylor Swift. Pudding cool, a website that will trash your listening habits, asks me if I've ever heard any music before 2019. That's not completely true as Pink Floyd stays in my regular rotation. 

I wish I started streaming earlier.   I got a Bluesound Vault in '19 and it totally changed the way I listened to music.    So many great artists I missed out on for years.  

The great thing about streaming is that I can listen to an artist and if I really like it I will buy it.   My last few LPs were records I discovered on Qobuz 

I found the opposite, I’m 37 and have always been searching for new music, even before streaming I would use YouTube to search. Streaming has made it so much easier that it has increased the genres I listen to with the only back step being I don’t listen to rap anymore. What I have found is I actually also search through ‘old’ music, jazz, classical etc, genres I never used to enjoy but now do. Finding new music is my favourite past time and adds exponential value to my hifi system. 

@dekay .....MTSWSO will Kill....(...start collecting shells...*L*)

'Cute' stuff like that can make one 'noid of inannimate things...appolgise to the countertop composed of ancient seashells....😏

I refuse to age gracefully, if only on some sort of principal.

Enjoy all sorts of mixtapes, X v. Y v. Z stuff...  Thinking of getting into a reserved sort of shuffle dancing to stay nimble....one step ahead is good. ;)

Like to work while listening to UNKLE stuff of late, nice long stuff in the background..  Enjoy the Walsh or dive into the 'phones....

I’ve been a professional musician since the 60’s and I hear new music all the time. I don’t like hippity hop much but I’m not the target audience for that anyway and it’s not "musical" enough for my attention span so..meh...Get out to the "folkie" or jazz clubs to see what’s what in the real music world. I fell into small venue sound mixing maybe 20 years ago and was floored at how superb people are in the "unpopular music business," many of whom are far better than the pop stars you may hear. Far better. I don’t privately listen to many of these people as I’m a jazz freak and my tastes have gone in that direction mostly...classical also...but that’s what might happen when your taste matures or takes a turn. New jazz (and old jazz) is astonishing and as good as ever, and that can keep my interest for the rest of my days...as does a new guitar here and there.